Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NEW BUILD doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
How many more Amps does the split connector add to when plugged in to the video card? Wouldn't that put 36A to the Vidcard?

Edited by xgamerson, 22 August 2008 - 07:20 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Your PSU is more than powerful enough to power your 9600GT, which is why I never brought it up.

Again, it would be most helpful if you could do everything in this topic to help pinpoint the issue. Also, if you have any extra parts, you might want to try switch them out with your current parts in an attempt to find a faulty component.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have the case speaker connected properly and it doesn't even make sound.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No beeps typically means: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, or Loose Peripherals.

You say your system is getting power, so "no power" can't be it. Make sure all peripherals (pretty much anything put into a motherboard slot) are tightly connected. If you still receive the problem, follow the last set of instructions from this topic, which involve removing the motherboard from the case and placing it on cardboard. That will rule out a short. If you still have the same problem, either the CPU or motherboard may be bad. You say the motherboard is old. Have you used is successfully before? If so, it is most likely a DOA (dead-on-arrival) CPU. Assuming you ordered it from Newegg, I believe you can RMA it for a replacement within 7 days.

Edited by stettybet0, 22 August 2008 - 11:16 PM.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

No beeps typically means: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, or Loose Peripherals.

You say your system is getting power, so "no power" can't be it. Make sure all peripherals (pretty much anything put into a motherboard slot) are tightly connected. If you still receive the problem, follow the last set of instructions from this topic, which involve removing the motherboard from the case and placing it on cardboard. That will rule out a short. If you still have the same problem, either the CPU or motherboard may be bad. You say the motherboard is old. Have you used is successfully before? If so, it is most likely a DOA CPU. Assuming you ordered it from Newegg, I believe you can RMA it for a replacement within 7 days.

Well I did take out the MB and set it on cardboard and followed directions to it. I am thinking it is the MB and hope it's not the CPU because I ordered that several months ago. The heatsink for the CPU gets SUPER hot after a bit of being turned on though...

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

You say the motherboard is old. Have you used is successfully before?

As for the CPU heatsink getting very hot, is the fan on it spinning? Keep in mind that something hot to the human touch (like 40C, or 104F) is not at all hot for a CPU. In fact, for a CPU to be dangerously hot, touching the CPU heatsink would easily burn you.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

You say the motherboard is old. Have you used is successfully before?

As for the CPU heatsink getting very hot, is the fan on it spinning? Keep in mind that something hot to the human touch (like 40C, or 104F) is not at all hot for a CPU. In fact, for a CPU to be dangerously hot, touching the CPU heatsink would easily burn you.

I never successfully used the MB before this would be the first build I used it. However my uncle used it on his last build I am sure. Yes all fans are properly running. Yeah I guess it isn't dangerously hot then heh. I can't think of much to do with it because I don't have any extra hardware because I sold it all except for this computer and I really don't feel like risking anything in it because it isn't mine, and I am broke.

My case has the tool free installation and it crams my video card in. Though it is a snug fit until I latch it.

Blank screen no noises everything runs good heh.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well I think I'm going to clear CMOS again and try once more and if nothing I will replace mobo in a few weeks and then see what happens I don't want to waste your alls time. You guys are great for helping though! I almost don't want to give up on this so soon because there is around 1800$ invested in it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, I have some good news. Kind of. It may be that your motherboard and CPU are both fine. My research shows that this motherboard only provides 1.8V to the RAM by default. The RAM you purchased recommends 2.2V. It can often run on a bit less, but 0.4V less is a lot to ask. How does the system fair with only one RAM stick in? If there is still no progress, you should try to acquire a DDR2 stick that requires only 1.8V. You can get one here for $10. Then, boot the machine, set the RAM voltage to 2.2V in the BIOS and power off the machine. Take out the cheap RAM stick, and put in the good Patriot RAM you have. Boot back up and hopefully everything will be fine.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well, I have some good news. Kind of. It may be that your motherboard and CPU are both fine. My research shows that this motherboard only provides 1.8V to the RAM by default. The RAM you purchased recommends 2.2V. It can often run on a bit less, but 0.4V less is a lot to ask. How does the system fair with only one RAM stick in? If there is still no progress, you should try to acquire a DDR2 stick that requires only 1.8V. You can get one here for $10. Then, boot the machine, set the RAM voltage to 2.2V in the BIOS and power off the machine. Take out the cheap RAM stick, and put in the good Patriot RAM you have. Boot back up and hopefully everything will be fine.

Wow thanks for the information!

Again I appreciate everyone who posted to help. Thank you alot stetty I will try that first. [bleep] actually I might have a stick or two downstairs in an older build. I'll get back to you. :)

Advertisements

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I think I forgot to mention that when powering up it idles for around 2 sec and then everything powers down for 2 sec and then powers on again...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I would be extremely surprised if this is the cause of the problem. I've never heard of RAM not being able to run at 1.8V, simply because all motherboards default to giving DDR2 RAM 1.8V initially. How would you ever tell the motherboard to run it at a higher voltage, if it won't boot at default voltages? The fix you've suggested seems like an awful long way around to fix the problem, but like I've said, all RAM should run at 1.8V - just perhaps not at optimal performance.

Judging from your pictures, it looks like you have connected two power cables to your hard drive. If this is correct, please disconnect the old 4-pin molex power connector, leaving only the SATA data and power cables connected to your hard drive.

Report back with any results you have.

Cheers

Troy