Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install ANY antivirus program?

• Please log in to reply

Doombringer6969

Doombringer6969

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I currently am on a eMachine with an AMD Sempron running windows Xp. It's really odd, I've never encountered anything like this but, every time I try to install an antivirus/spyware program something strange happens. With each program that I would try installing I would get different errors, First I tried installing AVG Anti-virus free edition off of download.com after downloading I clicked on the icon and nothing would happen. I went to processes to see if it was running but just not loading up and it wasn't there And it just wouldn't open so I chalked it up to a loss and deleted it. Then I tried a 90 day trial of Mcafee and, the same problem happened yet another loss. Then I tried Norton 360 installed it and restarted the computer, the computer ran EXTRA slow and the norton configuration screen popped up and out of nowhere while it was performing a preliminary scan norton 360 closed but the icon was still at the bottom right of my screen. I clicked on it and nothing happened I tried clicking on the icon on the desktop and it wouldn't open. I restarted my computer generally experienced the same problem. I got it to install but it wouldn't open the norton control center or anything. I then did a system restore so I'm able to use my internet again (wouldn't load after trying these things) but I still think my computer is riddled with viruses. Please, any tips or anything would help now.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Doombringer,

I recommend you start with the link below. Run the steps provided before posting a hijack log.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html