Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1068 and 1083 errors - Is there a fix for these?

• Please log in to reply

sas9491

sas9491

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have several service that give the 1083 error and several that give a 1068 (dependency not started) error. With so many I'm guessing there must be a way to log the start up process and see which application(s) is causing the the problem.

I'll list some of them, maybe you can tell me what I might try next to fix the problem. They all have startup type of Automatic. Any suggestions are welcome.

Some with the 1083:
Automatic updates,
Cryptographic Service,
DHCP Client, Error Reporting,
Help and Support,
Logical Disk Manager,
Secondary Logon,
Server,
Shell Hardware Detection,
System Restore Service,
Task Scheduler,
Themes,
WIndows Audio,
Windows Management Instrumentation,
Windows Time,
Workstation.

Some with the 1068:
Computer Browser,
Net Logon,
Security Center,
System Event Notification,
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Find a Windows XP CD (Contact your computer manufacturer if you can't find it), put it into the drive, and cancel the autoplay. Then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow and press Enter. You'll see a box with a progress bar come up.

This is scanning all of your system files and making sure they are intact. Once it is done, reboot and you should be good to go.

If you can't find an XP CD, you can still run the command without it. The program will look for bad files, and replace them with good copies from the i386 folder. If it can't find a good copy there, it will look on the CD - which is why you need a CD. Or just hope that the program doesn't need to use the CD.

sas9491

sas9491

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Admiral,

Couple questions: Should I do this in safe mode and My cd is SP 1a, but my current level is 2; will that cause a problem?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You can do this in Normal Mode. No, the service pack (in this case) shouldn't cause a problem. There should be good versions of the changed SP2 files somewhere on the computer that the program will find.

sas9491

sas9491

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I ran the scannow and nothing changed. Any other ideas?