Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing DPI

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Lately I've been having problems with my new mouse I bought yesterday. It's a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0, and it has a relatively high DPI compared to my older mouse which was a Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical. I was wondering if there was any way to find out my current DPI and/or change it to 400?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The higher the mouse DPI, the more accurate it is. Higher DPI means greater precision/smoothness for your mouse movement. If it's higher than 400 then that's a good thing, surely? Or do you want to elaborate on the problem in more detail for us please?

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
It's not so much a problem as it is a Geeky little preference. I used my old Microsoft 1.1a Wheelmouse for gaming purposes, and have become accustomed to whatever DPI it was (I am quite familiar with DPI settings) I went out and bought this new one, and discovered that the DPI was different, therefore forcing me to adjust numerous settings in my game. If there's no way to change a DPI, I'll just return this one and re-buy the MS 1.1a.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Change the sensitivity of the mouse in the Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options or you may be able to change these on a per-program basis by going into its options.
Realistically mouse DPI options are standard across the range where they can't be adjusted manually and changing the option in the Control Panel is the closest one is going to get if the mouse doesn't have its own already.