Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC does not boot.

• Please log in to reply

eru777

eru777

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all good day . (or evening)

Yesterday and the day before yesterday I used my computer to download material from the shareware program Limewire, and I encountered some viruses there. As I use Avast, it detected them as soon as possible and I deleted them.
After a while I entered a site with viruses (a megaupload link with a trojan) and avast did the same.

After some hours of use, my PC started freezing more and more. (By freezing I mean it completely freezes and I needed to manually reset and reboot to have a good startup as well)

SHORT VERSION

After a day I tried to open the pc and it stopped functioning completely. The extremely weird thing is that :
When I turn it on, the computer starts its fan and then closes after 5" , then it turns on by itself , and this carries on until after 10 minutes when it closes itself in a sleep-mode like manner. The PC does not boot .

The screen does not show anything , apart from the orange light that indicates no signal.
-I did not perform any hardware changes ever.
-I tried stopping it for a while so it would fix itself, moved the case, nothing.
-The day before that happened, I did a spyware check and it found a few things.
-I tried removing the power link from the SATA Hard Drive to see if the problem is in the BIOS, and my fears were right, it's probably a motherboard problem , but since it began with a virus, I am asking is there any way to reset it (the bios) any button on the motherboard?

Computer with Windows XP Professional SP2 Media Cented Edition 2005
Software firewall, router firewall, avast antivirus.
Geforce GPU with 256mb
Dual core CPU intel
1GB of RAM

Please help a man in need. Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
often there is a jumper to reset the bios but you may want to pull the battery that may be easier.... leave it out for 4 or 5 minutes... If that doesn't work I'd unplug all drives and pull all cards and all but one stick of memory and see if it will start... It might be just a coincidence and actually be a physical problem... I'd look at power supply first

good luck....

eru777

eru777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

often there is a jumper to reset the bios but you may want to pull the battery that may be easier.... leave it out for 4 or 5 minutes... If that doesn't work I'd unplug all drives and pull all cards and all but one stick of memory and see if it will start... It might be just a coincidence and actually be a physical problem... I'd look at power supply first

good luck....

Thanks for replying. I sent it to the technician today. I don't wanna start this do it yourself nonsense again, since I already ruined a computer. Hopefull it's only a burnt motherboard and nothing else.
Also, I will be using linux from now on. I can't take this virus nonsense again.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yeah well linux can be nice.... it isn't bullet proof however.... have fun...