Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Malware and Virus found [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mojo_Workin

Mojo_Workin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
IndiG.

ran another scan. this is a pain in the arse. I am including a pic from the SystemAnalyzer scan. It now says it's found two viruses! I'm gonna have to find a 1-800 number for Webroot and find out what the heck is going on.

Please view the attached picture of the listed offenders.

Mal/Behav-041 still resides
Mal/ObsHTML-A is a new one.

I sure hope this is garbage that this program is finding.

MW

Attached Thumbnails

• NewScan_SA_91108.JPG

Advertisements

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
Darn I wish it would give a file, or something to go on...

Does it have an option to clean it? We can try yet another online scanner and see if anything is found.

Run a BitDefender Online scan Here and post the results.

Mojo_Workin

Mojo_Workin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
IndiG,

I ran the scan and it came up blank. This doesn't make sense. I am going to try and call Webroot tech support tomorrow morning and see if they can help at all. Thanks for your helping us through this PIA issue. My wife would like to get it figured out b/c it is becoming a hassle for her to do her college work on if I have it doing scans every so often.

I will get back to you with any info that I find out from Webroot.

Thanks again,

MW

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure how much help Webroot is going to give you on this. They don't even offer or appear to support that product. It looks like something only for the Geek Squad. And I'll be frank here that I don't really trust them or the product itself.

What I would suggest and do myself next would be to download and run the free trial of their AV and Antispyware scanner. You can get it on this page:

http://www.webroot.c...spysweeper.html

It gives you 2 options, to install Spysweeper or the product I mentioned. Again I would go with the latter. I am currently downloading and running it on one of my Vista machines to see what is found.

ONE NOTE: Make sure to UNCHECK the step that asks if you want to install the Ask Toolbar. I advise not to install that.

I'll let you know how I make out with the scan on my system.

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
Hi MW,

I ran a Webroot Virus/Spyware scan on my PC. And low and behold...

Mal/ObfJS-AB
Mal/Behav-236

Well....both were false positives. The first being a web file that I wrote as I do some web design. I know it's not infected.
The second being some of the tools we recommend in these forums, which is common for security software to flag as Malware, just by design of what it does. The nice thing is if you expand the item it will show you what the file is and where it is. So you can at least evaluate what it is. Might be a good way to go. Just need to uninstall it after if you don't want it....which I don't. Off to the uninstaller................

Mojo_Workin

Mojo_Workin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
IndiG,

I ran this previously and uninstalled. I can't remember if it found anything. Her computer hasn't been as touchy as of late, but if it gets really spotty, then I'll have to try and convince them their software needs to be scrapped out for a newer version. Hopefully, it won't be when my wife has to write her finals papers!

If I run into anything else, I'll post another topic and go from there. Thanks again!

MW

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
OK good enough.....

You can remove the tools we used such as SDFix. Also, we can uninstall combofix:

Time for some housekeeping
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

• Posted Image
The above procedure will:
  • Delete the following:
    • ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
    • VundoFix backups, if present
    • The C:\Deckard folder, if present
    • The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present
  • Reset the clock settings.
  • Hide file extensions, if required.
  • Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
  • Reset System Restore.

In addition to updating and using what you currently have you may want to consider the following:

Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. Here are some free and evalutation versions that provide
better security than the Windows Firewall. Comodo
Outpost Firewall
For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some other available ones see the link below:
Understanding and Using Firewalls

Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly or set your computer to receive automatic updates. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Install SpywareGuard - SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.
A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Using SpywareGuard to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Use Zoned Out -
Zoned Out will block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email. Instructions for set up and use can be found at the website.

Update all of your Anti-Malware programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed and the ones you are currently running regularly. Without regular updates you Will Not be protected when new malicious programs are released.

I'll leave the thread open a few days in case you have questions or issues.

Regards,
Dave

IndiGenus

IndiGenus

Anti-Malware Buddha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.