Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Possible ?

• Please log in to reply

gandalf_gray

gandalf_gray

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, Can someone help me please.

1st Qn:
I have a Dell Inspiron -WinXP.
I had removed the Partition with dell files in it that came with it -to be used for System Restore long bk.

Now my system has crashed totally. & I can't do system restore. (Cant even login to safe mode).
But I can see my hard drive contents thru' Ubuntu Linux CD.
If I manually create a partition , and copy the contents in the partition drive from my friend's similar system, will that help in doing system restore ?

I'm stuck , because I dont have any restoration/installtion CDs. & I'm out of warranty.

2nd Qn:
If I can get hold of someone else's winXP installation CD, Can I use that legally to enter my Key from the sticker & do a fresh installation ?

Thanks.

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yes, you could use another Win XP disc and your registration code to do a fresh install. In essence, the main thing that Microsoft is selling you is the registration key. If you have files on your machine that you'd like to save, you may want to try using some data recovery software. I would recommend trying Selkie Rescue. That software will let you boot your machine, and gives you the tools to move your files to another machine via a network. Good luck! :)