Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Gateway OS Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

TaylrMayd

TaylrMayd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Someone, who will remain nameless for the time being, put this OS system called Godly XP on my Gateway desktop. He thought he was being clever since it had SP3. But whoever developed this custom OS, disabled a lot of the functions and now my comp doesn't do any of the stuff it did before and I lost all my files and programs. All I want to do is restore the Gateway back to original OS. It used to be able to do it by pressing F11 at startup (I think), but now that doesn't work.

Also at startup it shows something called wlnotify.dll

What is that and is that what is causing me not to be able to restore my system?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Note* This same person also lost my boot CD

Edited by TaylrMayd, 20 August 2008 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well it's quite possible that if someone actually loaded a new os and not just some theme or some such that he wiped out the f11 recovery partition.... but without being there it's kind of hard to tell... If you have a windows disk you could boot from that and respond as if you where going to install the windows fresh and see what it says is there when it asks where you want to install windows... just don't tell it to install anything... after looking to see what it reports hit f3 to quit...

TaylrMayd

TaylrMayd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't have any of the boot disks. The computer was a hand me down. I have tried the recovery but it is not working are there any backdoors or something I can use?

TaylrMayd

TaylrMayd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Does Gateway offer replacement recovery disks????