Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I prefer not to build so I need some advice on a purchase.

• Please log in to reply

tyroto411

tyroto411

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have thought about it and decided to just not build one and just buy one. So what I'm looking for is a amazingly powerful gaming pc. I plan to order from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I am looking at Intel Desktops>High Performance Gaming PC. So if you can please pick me a computer from that area that can run games like Crysis rather well then please do it. I also would like to play Spore when it releases. My current computer can run the Creature Creator but some of the textures don't look like they're supposed to i.e. shiny textures not being shiny, no shadows, and bland colors.

I hope this isn't anking too much but if it is I thank you for at lease reading.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Want to spend money?

Gamer Infinity SLI 4X $2385

Add these to this

Switch quad core for a Core 2 Duo E8600 +$84
Creative Audigy SE sound card +$30

I say switch to a core 2 duo simply because there are no games made yet that will use the full potential of the Quad core. The core 2 duo has a higher FSB and faster speed. My gaming friends all use the core 2 duo.

You cannot believe how much better the Creative Audigy sound is compared to any on-board sound. I never use on-board sound for anything on my personal computers.

The only other problem i see is the cheaper power supply's they are using. Maybe they know more than me, but i would like to see a PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Or Enermax power supply in the computer. Perhaps you could custom order the computer with one in it.

My 2¢

SRX660

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I say switch to a core 2 duo simply because there are no games made yet that will use the full potential of the Quad core. The core 2 duo has a higher FSB and faster speed. My gaming friends all use the core 2 duo.

This is not true. Many games take advantage of quad core CPUs. Some popular examples are Supreme Commander, Lost Planet, Hellgate: London, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, all Source-based games (Half-Life 2 series, CounterStrike: Source, etc.), all CryEngine2-based games (just Crysis right now), and all Unreal 3-based games (Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and many others).

You cannot believe how much better the Creative Audigy sound is compared to any on-board sound. I never use on-board sound for anything on my personal computers.

Sound cards are rendered useless in the majority of gaming situations under Windows Vista. See this article for more information. Anyways, for this reason, as well as the fact that the Audigy has been superseded by the Xtreme series, and the fact that most onboard sound cards are typically very good these days (especially in NVIDIA SLI motherboards, which use hi-definition onboard audio), I suggest skipping the Audigy sound card suggestion here. The money could definitely be spent better in other areas.

Speaking of money, don't be put off by the recommendation of a $2000+ system. You certainly don't need to spend that much for a decent gaming computer. Perhaps give us your budget and maybe a configuration you were considering, and we can take it from there.