Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in bootup. Maybe set to network boot.

• Please log in to reply

bardan

bardan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend. He has xp and it seem to wan't to boot using a network. because of this I can't get into windows. I've tried disabling network boot options in bios but it doesn't work. I've tried putting the dard disc into another computer but it does the same thing. I'm starting to think he has somehow selected the network boot option in msconfig. Does anyone have any advice on how I could change or check those settings while not being able to get into windows?

Advertisements

bardan

bardan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've also tried in safe mode. doesn't work...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's no setting for booting to the network within windows...that's all Bios settings...

try two or three things...boot to the bios and load the default settings...if that fails try loading the optimized defaults....if that's not an option or doesn't work...unplug the machine from the wall...open it up and pull out the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and hold the power button in for about 30 seconds or so....put the battery back in, close the case and try to boot up again (you'll probably have to go into the BIOS and reset the clock)