Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a godly build

• Please log in to reply

WhyteWolf

WhyteWolf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
heres what i have so far:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Mobo:
EVGA 790i Ultra SLI

Procesor:
Intel Extreme QX9650

HDD:
WD 1TB

RAM:
OCZ 2x2GB 2000MHz

GFX Card:
GeForce GTX 280 SLI (2x)

Power Supply:
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W

Water Cooling:
Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT (link: http://www.newegg.co...82E16835108076)

Razer Lycosa Keyboard
Razer Lachesis Banshee Mouse
Razer Piranha Stereo Gaming Headphones
Razer Exactmat Professional Gaming Mousepad Bundle
Samsung Touch of Color T220 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor

heres what im looking for:
MOBO that supports 16GB of RAM, 2-3 pcie x16 slots,prefer 2 processor's
8GB Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate
Badass GFX Card
Fast Processor (atleast 2.40GHz)
500+GB HDD
2x CD/DvD Burners

Edited by WhyteWolf, 21 August 2008 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Is this a gaming computer or more of a media computer? That makes a difference in whether you want a quad core or a dual core CPU...

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Also wondering if you have experience in overclocking, if not then are you thinking of overclocking in the future?

WhyteWolf

WhyteWolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
this will be a gaming pc mostly,no ive never overclocked,but i plan to with this build. :)

here is the new setup im going with

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Mobo:
EVGA 790i Ultra SLI

Procesor:
Intel Extreme QX9650

HDD:
WD 1TB

RAM:
OCZ 2x2GB 2000MHz

GFX Card:
GeForce GTX 280 SLI (2x)

Power Supply:
Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W

Water Cooling:
Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT (link: http://www.newegg.co...82E16835108076)

[Edit:]
Updated the first post

Edited by WhyteWolf, 21 August 2008 - 06:27 PM.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
If it is a "GODLY BUILD" ... and especially for gaming...

You probably want to get a 64-bit system, so you can get a higher amount of TOTAL RAM.

32-bit system will only allow up to 4GB of TOTAL RAM, which means 3.5GB of RAM and a 512MB Video Card...or some other combination which adds up to 4GB...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

This is looking like quite a build so far. I'd agree with CrazyIvan here, unless there's something specific holding you back, go for 64-bit to make full use of your RAM.

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F1 hard drives are one of the fastest performing drives on the market right now, I'd consider it over the WD version. Although if you want, you could consider the new WD Velociraptor...

That link for the Swiftech watercooling is dead, would you mind fixing it?

And finally, make sure your Thermaltake PSU is listed in this page, as some research is showing me that some 1000W PSUs are not powerful enough...

Cheers

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F1 hard drives are one of the fastest performing drives on the market right now, I'd consider it over the WD version. Although if you want, you could consider the new WD Velociraptor...

Though the original poster didn't state what WD 1TB hard drive he was considering, the WD Caviar Black 1TB is the fastest 7200rpm drive. However, the Spinpoint F1 is $40 cheaper, and it offers very close performance to the Caviar Black in most areas. The Velociraptor is also an interesting choice, but the original poster stated that he'd like a 500GB+ hard drive. However, if there is room in the budget, he could perhaps get a Velociraptor for Vista and games, and something like this WD 640GB for additional storage.

And finally, make sure your Thermaltake PSU is listed in this page, as some research is showing me that some 1000W PSUs are not powerful enough...

That Thermaltake is a very, very good PSU. The high-end (1000W+) ToughPowers are some of the best PSUs you can buy. NVIDIA lists the 1000W model as being able to support 2 GTX 280s, and 3 GTX 260s, but not 3 GTX 280s. The 1200W model is capable of supporting 3 GTX 280s, if that's something you'd ever want to do. There's really no reason to get a third card though, as the benefits of Tri-SLI are basically non-existent. Most benchmarks show Tri-SLI only receiving a handful of FPS more than regular SLI. Of course, this could change in the future, but probably not before the GTX 280 is replaced by a much better card.

Unless you have money to throw around, the QX9650 is not a wise choice. The Q9550 will give you more than enough power, for a lot less money.

Edited by stettybet0, 23 August 2008 - 05:13 PM.