Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Hard Drive - Personal Documents Folder Access Denied on External

• Please log in to reply

kbugs

kbugs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good evening,

I have a Dell Latitude D800 (Windows XP) - which one day decided not to turn on. After troubleshooting with Dell - determined I needed a new motherboard. I decided to buy an external housing - in which I bought a NexStar SX - External 2.5" HDD Enclosure (IDE to USB 2.0). When attempting to access my documents through another computer - I am able to access everything expect my personal documents folder. It reads "Access Denied."

I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting this problem with Dell on the phone in which they basically said I'm out of luck. Unfortunately, I was not one to back up my computer and thus, am subject to lose 6 years worth of pictures, documents, etc. I have now learned my lesson and will back-up everyday - but it sure would be nice to have all of my documents back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can access this folder? Is there a password proctection or need to change peripherals? I'm not computer savvy but am willing to try just about anything to get my documents back. I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You must take ownership of the folder and files.

http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm

SRX660