Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown malware/virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mandaz

mandaz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I read the malware cleaning guide prior to posting this and followed the steps as listed in the post. I've done the ATF Cleaner, made a Windows system restore checkpoint, downloaded ERUNT and created a registry backup, enabled everything again on MSConfig, downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and performed both a quick scan and full scan.

Sorry this is a bit all over the place, but I accidentally downloaded some sort of malware/virus last night that caused a little imitation windows security alert icon to appear in my taskbar (so there were two of those little red things with an 'X' on it) that kept giving a popup claiming that I have viruses. The background was also changed to white with a message in the middle telling me viruses were found in some folder of my computer. To add to that, every time I tried to access a website, a popup would appear that mimicked an anti-virus program "scanning" my computer. Finally, a popup would appear asking me to download some sort of program (which I always canceled).

After running Malwarebytes' Anti-Maleware scan, I got rid of the annoying imitation security alert icon, the background image and the anti-viral popups.

I also tried running Symantec to see if it would find any viruses, but it came up clean.

Although it seems like I'm mostly in the clear, there are a couple of things that are off -- first, I tried to turn my computer back on from a hibernate, and the system was unable to boot. After trying to reboot, it blue-screened. Finally, another reboot, and the system started.

Once windows loaded and everything else loaded, I went to open my Firefox browser. Instead of going to the homepage, it was redirected to another imitation windows website... something like windowsupdate.org or something along those lines. Either way, Windows caught it as an imitation and blocked the site.

In addition, whenever I return to the website where I had initially downloaded the malware and try to leave a comment to prevent others from making my mistake, firefox automatically closes. Now, even if I try to go to a different file on that website and try to view the comments page, the browser automatically closes on me.

Lastly, I'm suspicious of the ppxcs.exe that's constantly running. When I look at the processes running through the task manager, I always find that it is the one slowing my computer down.

Anyway, enough talk. Here is my HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:57:13 AM, on 8/21/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\OEM13Mon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Webcam Manager\DellWMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\HidFind.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\sccs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\ppxcs.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\css.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\distnoted.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = partnerpage.google.com/smallbiz.dell.com/en_us?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us-smb&ibd=6080618
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = partnerpage.google.com/smallbiz.dell.com/en_us?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us-smb&ibd=6080618
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = partnerpage.google.com/smallbiz.dell.com/en_us?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us-smb&ibd=6080618
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.reallusio...mp;param=lang=1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM13Mon.exe] "C:\WINDOWS\OEM13Mon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] "C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] "C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DELL Webcam Manager] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Webcam Manager\DellWMgr.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] "C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe" /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sprint SmartView] "C:\Program Files\Sprint\Sprint SmartView\SprintSV.exe" -a
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] "C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] "C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sccs] "C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\sccs.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ppxcs] "C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\ppxcs.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVDDXSrv] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] "C:\Dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Css] "C:\Documents and Settings\Amanda\css.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe"
O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
O4 - Startup: WordWeb.lnk = C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: Sprint RcAppSvc (SprintRcAppSvc) - PCTEL - C:\Program Files\Sprint\Sprint SmartView\RcAppSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. (www.webroot.com) - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

--
End of file - 9002 bytes

THANK YOU THANK YOU!
:)

Advertisements

mandaz

mandaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
PLEASE DELETE THIS POST.

I found a solution elsewhere.