Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple monitor expasion possible?

• Please log in to reply

scoot3r90

scoot3r90

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have one slim desktop that has one VGA port and one HDMI port. Since the desktop is not wide enough to fit a newly bought video card with two outputs, I was wondering if it is possible to have one vga port to a vga monitor, and have another output using an HDMI cable from the computer to the DVI of the second monitor for expansion, not for cloning. I have tried buying a vga splitter, but I learned that it only clones the output to two monitors. Any help or advice of getting any kind of hardware is appreciated.

sorry if in wrong category.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to do exactly what you're wanting to do...hook up a monitor to the VGA then a monitor to the HDMI...then right click your desktop and choose properties, then go to the settings tab. you should see a window with two rectangles in it...one with a 1 in it and one with a 2...right click on the one with the 2 and choose "attach"....that SHOULD extend your desktop to that monitor...you'll need to muck with the resolution settings and things to make sure stuff looks the way you want it and you should be good to go