Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Broadband for Desktop PC's?

• Please log in to reply

ToKoYaMi

ToKoYaMi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey people!!

Is there any kind of wireless broadband that could run on a Windows XP DESKTOP to relieve me of dial up??????

Anyone???????

& No, i can't get road runner here, the owner of the building wont allow it.
Same with DSL

Thank you so much for any help!!

xoxox
Nami.

P.S.
Please don't tell me he can't legally do it, etc, yes, he can, i've been over it before and where i live he's in his rights. I'm trying to look for something else, not a debate on weather or not he can do it. And if i sound b*tchy, im sorry, im just really fed up with dial up, and i know that i can't get road runner or DSL where i am, without his crappy permission. And he's a jerk. And i don't want to go over "oh he can't do that" for the 10,000th time....I really just want to know if there is something else that can work for my desktop...=[ =[ =[ =[ - Thankssssss sooo much for ne help here! Wireless Broadband for Desktop PC's???

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just a quick question. Do you pay for your own TV cable service or is it provided by owner? I'm thinking of broadband modem through cable and then setting up a wireless setup if that's what you want for your desktop. They do have very expensive satellite Internet connection which I don't think you want to use. Even if you did, it may require a roof mounted antenna although there are some that work from a window sill.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 August 2008 - 03:02 PM.

ToKoYaMi

ToKoYaMi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, where i live the cable, power, and everything is included in the weekly or monthly rent. And i've heard about satelite but i can't afford anything expensive. i just want a basic cable/broadband-speed connection. =[

Edited by ToKoYaMi, 23 August 2008 - 12:41 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The cable/modem is the way to go, but I had the same problem where my cable service was in the owner's name and they refused to set up Internet service without the owner's permission as they would be billed for the additional service. Seems the cable service could not or would not bill regular TV cable service separate from the Internet service. Luckily, I reached an agreement with my landlady to pay extra per month to cover the Internet cost and was able to get it set up.

This is the only way I know of for you to get faster service since you said no other option is open to you via DSL. If you owner will no allow you to set up Internet service through the cable service, then I'm out of ideas. Even if the owner agreed, it may present a problem if the cable service is set up as a large distribution service for an apartment/motel/hotel complex. If it's just a simple service set up with the owner just paying for the service for himself and you, then it's more than likely you could get it if the owner aggreed.

Have you looked through the phone directory for alternative wireless services that may be available which require no connection to anything connected with your owner? From your original post, I understand that even the phone service is in the owner's name????

Another alternative is to go ahead and get a wireless card setup and install it. Let it "sniff" the local available wireless networks that are open, if any, that you can directly connect to. These are unsecure connections and may be using other people's wireless setup which is not recommended. But if you do stumble across a good commercial wireless service, you should be able to call them and see what they can do for you.

Some references:

DSL, Cable, Satellite, Wireless & Dialup Service Providers
Wireless Internet Service Providers
Wireless Internet Directory to find Wireless Internet Service

Ron

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Another option is to do exactly what you mentioned in your post - wireless broadband. Cellular companies, like Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and others, offer cellular wireless internet. While not at cable/DSL speeds, it is still much quicker than dialup. Most companies offer a USB device that plugs into your computer and acts as a wireless modem (modem used in the strictest sense of node to host).

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That's why I suggested that she look through the phone directory for other services available that she could take advantage of.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Another alternative is to go ahead and get a wireless card setup and install it. Let it "sniff" the local available wireless networks that are open, if any, that you can directly connect to. These are unsecure connections and may be using other people's wireless setup which is not recommended. But if you do stumble across a good commercial wireless service, you should be able to call them and see what they can do for you.
Ron

This is a desperate, somewhat inelegant, option but I guess I would go for that had I been in your position. All you risk is buying a decent quality wireless adapter. In a worst case scenario you will not find any network to hang to or the signal will be too weak.

Cellular modems can cost a lot to run, but it's worthwhile investigating.