Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Contaminated drives

• Please log in to reply

joey129

joey129

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My story as of now (bear with me):
I had the TQ virus a while back and posted some logs and got some help. Unfortunately, my computer conked out on my half-way (dust build-up in the onboard videocard and the computer wouldnt leave the startup screen). So I decided to have my videocard upgraded but the shop kinda messed up installation and had to reformat the computer.
Here are my concerns:
That virus probably wouldnt be a problem anymore, right? Since everything is being wiped out? But I have several flash disks, external HDs, HD camcorders, SD cards, iPods, cellphones, and an Ubuntu run laptop (the virus might just be dormant in it) that could still be carrying the virus.

So given that, is there anything I can do rather than (my original plan) 'contaminate the freshly reformatted drive and post a new log' to avert having to do that?

(just realized... I'm not too great with computers and not sure if reformatting would actually get rid of the malware in the first place XD)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You should be able to boot from your Ubuntu live CD, if you have one, and use it to clean out any of the drives except maybe the external hard drives. Just make sure you enable view hidden files so you can see everything. If the external drives have ntfs partitions you may have to use something else. You can also get bootable CDs that run virus scans on disks.