Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Boot from XP Disk or Get Into Bios or Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

SamuelDavid

SamuelDavid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I'm stuck with a blank monitor screen after each press of the power button. The monitor display works when I disconnect it from the computer. This began after the next boot following an install of itunes and skype.

I've tried but cannot enter safe mode. 90% of my boots get a complete blank screen. A few show the error message below. Even inserting my XP Disk 'Recovery' CD provided by EMachines does nothing (I have an EMachines Desktop T3092 4yrs old). I also tried entering bios with several keys but had no luck using them to enter BIOS (del, F2, F8, F10).

I've read 12+ posts on this same error message below and the pinned post on XP repair. I've done what steps I can, what else can I try? And am I looking at a 3-4 hr fix or more like a 8-9 hr fix? I know we can only guess, but you can guess better than I.

p.s. My main goal here is to retrieve my files on this computer. The last backup was many months ago. I understand an XP repair would probably fix the computer without overwriting my personal files.

p.p.s. See below for error message I faced.

Thanks,
Sam

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start sucsessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally"

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its burncdcc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

then use the same instructions to burn rc.iso....

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the rc.iso cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....then type chkdsk /r press enter

if this doesn't get you booted up I will give you instructions on how to save your data

Edited by happyrck, 24 August 2008 - 11:04 AM.

SamuelDavid

SamuelDavid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply!

I tried putting in my XP disk at least thats what i think it is. Its the recovery disk from Emachines the computer manufacturer. No luck with that so I gave up and took it in to a local computer shop. They haven't done diagnostics check on it yet, but just from my descripton they think the motherboard is fried and I should just get a Windows enclosure to recover my files.

Does that sound good to you? I wonder if it could be easily repaired with a new motherboard. I'd only be willing to pay them another 1.5 hr to get the computer in working condition. Cuz its not worth that much being an 4 yr old Emachines desktop.
thanks,
Sam

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
replacing a mobo is/can be expensive ...recovering your files is easy...just slave the drive to a working computer and burn the data to dvd's or a external hard drive...