Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Playing Non-Widscreen Games on a Widescreen Comp

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Greetings all.

I have two computers, a Dell XPSM140 Laptop with Windows XP Media Center, and a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop with Windows Vista 32-bit.

On my laptop, my video card allows me to select an option that maintains the aspect ratio of non-widescreen programs. In other words, I can play old games that were played on square-screened computers, and rather than being stretched and distorted to fit the widescreen laptop, it puts a black border on the left and right side of the screen, maintaining the square shape.

However, my desktop isn't as option friendly. I've gone to the video card settings, and it has an option to maintain the aspect ratio, and I have it selected, but when I play an older game (specifically Silent Hill 2), it stretches and distorts the game to fit the widescreen monitor. I've tried all the tricks to display the game in a window, such as adding the -w in the target address, hitting Alt + Enter during the game...etc, but nothing has worked.

This particular game does not have a "Start Windowed" feature either, so that's out of the question.

I know this must revolve around my video card, so here is what is in my computer according to systemspec:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO | ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Advertisements