Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with video/games....

• Please log in to reply

moomatty

moomatty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all,

I have a Dell XPS, little over a year old...so much for warranty.
Anyone it was acting up a lot, so i took it in to a "expert" shop in town.
They troubleshot it and tested it, called saying it was the motherboard, which will need to be replaced, along with the case since Dell makes them that way... I said do it up.

Got it back in its new case, it works fine and no longer locks up, but if i try to play world of warcraft or battlefield, the frame rate is horrible. I NEVER had that trouble before.

Took it back, they suggested maybe video card problems, I said ill upgrade it anyhow.
Put in a nvidia 9800 GT, 512 meg.
Got it back, same exact problem, no change at all.
Game starts fine, log in fine, get somewhere into action, and the frame rate drops, gets to the point where its a complete studder, and some times even freezes up the computer

My xps is dual core 1.5's
2g of ram
300g hard drive, freshly formated.
Nvidia 9800 GT now...
Physx graphics accel

Im pretty clueless with computers, just am a complete nerd and enjoy my games.

Any suggestions?? ram trouble with new motherboard maybe?? hard drive fried?!!?

Any help would be much appreciated

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi moomatty, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Did you, or the computer repair shop, reinstall the video drivers and PhysX system software? Go ahead and install them again from nvidia.com, just to be sure they are both in and okay. In fact, after formatting your hard drive, did you install any drivers from support.dell.com?

When you are playing a game, can you play it in windowed mode instead of full screen (not familiar with WoW, sorry)? If so, open up task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and click on processes, then click on the CPU heading twice to organize it from highest to lowest. If the CPU for the game ends up hitting 85 or 90, it could be a processor problem and not a graphics problem.