Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 File Gone; Computer Crashed; Won't load.

• Please log in to reply

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Please help; The black load screen won't load and says the System file can not be found or is gone.
I've ALWAYS got pop up messages saying that XXXX in System 32 can not be found; but it did it so often; it was more of a routine and I thought nothing of it.
It also told me to insert the disk and press "R" to POSSIBLY repair it; but my friend put Windows XP on the computer and we don't speak anymore. All I have are Windows 98 and 95 disks and the Motherboard disk.

What happened was simple;
My friend gave me a floppy disk to read a poem; and I put it in and my computer froze and Ctrl + Alt + Delete didn't work; so I have to turn it off.

Now; It won't turn on.

Please help me; This is the fourth computer I've crashed in less than two years.
There was 1O GB of music; all my pictures and videos from the past year.
It has all my HTML codes for sites, all my passwords, all my poems and songs that mean a lot to me.
I need just about everything on there, for myself; some for school; old family pictures of deceased ones; family; pets; everything.

I don't have the money to fix it professionally either...
Is there anything I can do?
Is there anyway to get all my information; documents; music; videos; pictures; and programs out and put them in a different machine?

None of my stuff was backed up either, because no one ever showed me how to do that or what program to use or anything.

But; I'm really desperate. I NEED that computer.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

What happened was simple;
My friend gave me a floppy disk to read a poem; and I put it in and my computer froze and Ctrl + Alt + Delete didn't work; so I have to turn it off.

Now; It won't turn on.

Hi ColtsFan, welcome to Geeks to Go! We'll need some more information about what is happening. You mentioned system32 files missing in the past: is that what is happening now, or is the computer not turning on at all? Describe what happens when you press the power button, including lights on the computer, what you see on the screen, etc.

Edited by The Admiral, 22 August 2008 - 06:24 AM.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Well; first off yes; I'd always get pop up messages that odd files in the System 32 file are corrupt or missing... and I got them so often;' I said screw it.

Now; When I turn on my computer; when It gets to the black screen where the white bar loads; it stops there and says the System File is missing or corrupt.

The green light flickers... and the red one stays on and that's it.
It tried to restart itself; and then the same thing happens.

Now; I don't know anything about the computer because it was custom made by my Boss's friend.
He recently moved and no one can get a hold on him.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just to add to The Admiral:

Your data is not lost and can be easily recovered by someone who knows how to that. Please forgive me but reading your posts and being impressed by how important the data is, I really think that you should be better off having someone who feels more comfortable with computers helping you.

Whatever you decide to do please note:

1: Your valuable data should be backed-up now to avoid loss or damage which may occur during the repair job.

2: You must have an XP installation CD. If you don't have one, try to borrow a disk of the same version that is installed in your computer. You must also have a "product key" which is the code used during the installation of of XP. Many times it's written on a sticker attached to the computer.

3: Please write down the exact error message (e.g: Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM). That's important for deciding what action is taken.

4: Please give us the make and model of your computer. If it's a no brand-name computer and you are not sure you can open the case, leave it for the time being.