Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloading a gateway mt3705 laptop to xp

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Hey.. i have read these forums up and down and if anyone would be kind enough to assist me with downgrading my vista laptop to xp. Also, is there a way or place where I can download the xp drivers for this type of laptop, because I really do not want to mess up anything and want to get some more speed from this laptop. Thank you or your assistance..

also if there is anything else you would want to know, just ask and I will be happy to tell you

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

1: Go to the Gateway website and search your system. There is a very good chance there may not be XP drivers available for your computer as many manufacturers are now using Vista only hardware.

2: Check Gateway to make sure you aren't voiding your warranty as downgrading may do just that.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 21 August 2008 - 06:37 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I no longer have a warranty so it really is the least of my concerns. What I am really worried about is the actual process of downgrading... do i just pop in the xp cd, and do a normal reformat or is there anything special I have to do.... also, the next thing is gettin all the relevant drivers.. i have heard soo many bad things about obtaining drivers that i am almost afraid to try it.

I do contain windows xp cds and the original cds that came with the vista gateway.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Like I said. Go to the gateway website and search your system. If XP drivers are available, they will be there.

As for the XP cd, did it come with a different system?

Murray

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yes the xp cd came with a different system, and i will look for the drivers now

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

yes the xp cd came with a different system, and i will look for the drivers now

Then, you get to buy a new XP cd as well as that cd won't work on your system. It will be looking for drivers and hardware that are non-existant. Also, it would be going against Microsoft's EULA and thus, an illegal install.

Murray

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok, i guess i will leave it alone and disable the aero on the vista... all i really wanted to do was make it alot more faster

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
If you get a legit XP it is not impossible to get the drivers, depending on the hardware for your laptop XP might recognize most of it out of box.

If you want to make vista faster you can leave aero on and still increase performace. I say also turn off UAC (dont flame me xp doesnt have it and he was going to go xp), just to start.

To retain the look of aero and increase performance go the properties of "Computer" and adjust the visual settings. Uncheck everything except "use Themes and Visutal Styles for Windows" (or something like that) and "enable transparency".

There are other things you can do like how indexing is handled, but that should be a good start.

Oh and if you have anything other than your AV product running in the system tray at boot, kill those too.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i do have a legit xp cd.... its not the one that came with teh computer tho... the computer is loads faster now, in termsof how applications open up and whats not.. i disabled the aero interface and i have long disabled the UAC.. in terms of things running at startup, i only have 7 things. Is that many or a little?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

i do have a legit xp cd.... its not the one that came with teh computer tho...

So what did this disk come with? If it came with a different system or is OEM that was installed on a different system it is NOT legit. It is forever married to the original system regardless of what happened or happens to the old system. It cannot legally be used on any other computer ever.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 24 August 2008 - 06:43 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
well i guess i will stick with vista then