Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB causes BSOD

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
This is the craziest thing. Anytime I plug a USB device into my laptop I get the BSOD. It happens very quickly, I think it says something about virtual memory but I am not certain. It has never happened before today. I use a Palm centro that syncs to Outlook and that is the first thing that caused this crash. Later I tried one of my two flash drives, a Kingston data traveler 1gb which also caused the BSOD crash. I tried the device on two different USB ports on my laptop. I am stuck and don't know what to do!

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 running XP media center. Thank you for any advice.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Solution: Don't plug any USB devices in :) :)

Have you tried these devices on other machines?

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Aha! Found out what was going on, so in case anyone needs to know here it is;
I recently switched from CA antivirus to Comodo, but being annoyed with Comodo I uninstalled it and went with the far superior Avast and the USB is fine :)