Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Using Windows XP.

I can receive email. But try to send or forward and I receive this message:

The Address Book failed to load.  Outlook express is incorrectly configured, please re-install.

I'm positive my email account (and I have only one) is configured correctly.

Who ever heard of reinstalling Outlook Express?!

I downloaded Internet Explorer 7 hoping that would fix it.

If there is a way to reinstall Outlook Express how is it done?

I do not find OE in Add or Remove Programs.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 25 August 2008 - 04:49 AM.

Advertisements

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
It's most likely a problem with the Address book, not OE.
With OE closed, use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.
You should find a UserName.wab and a UserName.wab~.
Move the UserName.wab to the Desktop.
Change the file with the wab~ extension to UserName.wab.
Open OE and try sending a message.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Have done all that you recommend. Now I can send for example to the email address on my Macintosh, but sending to my wife's computer doesn't go through. There are several other email addresses outside of our home network I can't send to, but others I can!

Very strange.

Thank you for this advance. It's getting there....

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
A few questions.
Are you getting any error messages now?
For the addresses you can not send to, are you using the address book to fill the to: line?
Will they send if you manually type in the address?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Are you getting any error messages now? NO.

For the addresses you can not send to, are you using the address book to fill the to: line? NO. As a matter of fact I just clicked on the Address Book and nothing happens. It does not open.

Will they send if you manually type in the address? NO.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 02 September 2008 - 06:43 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
With OE closed, go to the WAB file at C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.
Right click it and select Properties. The Read Only attribute should be Unchecked. If it's not, clear the check and click OK.
Click Start>Run>type wab>OK. See if the Address book opens.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

With OE closed, go to the WAB file at C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.
Right click it and select Properties. The Read Only attribute should be Unchecked. If it's not, clear the check and click OK.
Click Start>Run>type wab>OK. See if the Address book opens.

Under the General tab>Attributes>read only, the read only is grayed out. I see no way to clear the check.

However if I go to C:\Program Files\Outlook Express and right click Address Book the Read Only attribute is unchecked.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 02 September 2008 - 08:34 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Did it open using Start>Run>wab?

Edited by Throoper, 02 September 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Start>Run>wab? Did it open? No.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Okay. Go back into the Application directory and rename the wab to UserName.old. If a new file was created with the wa~ or wab~ extension, delete it. Open OE and see if you can open the address book now.

Advertisements

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Still it will not open.

I think it's time to mention that I had performed a search for Outlook Express last week and found four versions. I looked at each one, some dating back to 2004 and ending in 06. So I selected the one with the most current emails and deleted the other three. However I haven't emptied the recycle bin on purpose in the event that one of those three is the one that had been working fine.

Attached is what I see.Outlook Express

Edited by Robert Tracy, 02 September 2008 - 09:34 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I think it's time to mention that I had performed a search for Outlook Express last week and found four versions. I looked at each one, some dating back to 2004 and ending in 06. So I selected the one with the most current emails and deleted the other three. However I haven't emptied the recycle bin on purpose in the event that one of those three is the one that had been working fine.

I'm confused.
When you say versions, do you mean the program?
Did you start having problems with the address book and/or OE right after doing that?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I'm sorry. I can't say that I know what I mean about these "versions". I believe each of them are programs. And I suspect that the one I selected to use is not the one that was indeed working before the sudden problems appeared.

You write: "Did you start having problems with the address book and/or OE right after doing that?" I have to answer both yes and no. I started having problems with OE before I did that. Working with my server I found that the version I was using was missing a wab32.dll file, so I got that from Microsoft and put it in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express. This did not correct the problem.

And here is what I see at at : C:\Documents and Settings

Does it look like a deeper issue than OE? So many Users, some unclickable.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 02 September 2008 - 10:06 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hmmm!!!
I'm not sure what would be the best way to go.

The first that comes to mind would be to try to go back to square 1.
Restore the files that were deleted and then do a System Restore to a point before they were deleted to reset any Registry entries that were changed.
This option has a couple of if's with it.
If you have a Restore point that far back that works.
If OE was reasonably functioning, with or without the address book.
The wab32.dll goes in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System folder, which may be why it didn't correct the problem.

Second option would be to just rebuild what you have.
Couple if's here also.
If OE is functioning, able to receive and somewhat able to send.
If you have your Windows CD. Running the System File Checker may repair things.
It's possible that simply placing the wab32.dll in the right folder may get things running right, just check the attribute of the wab for Read Only. You may have to do the Rename and delete of the wa~ again to create a new user WAB.

I've got to go off for a bit and will check back with you later.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
You write:

"Second option would be to just rebuild what you have.
Couple if's here also.
If OE is functioning, able to receive and somewhat able to send.
If you have your Windows CD. Running the System File Checker may repair things.
It's possible that simply placing the wab32.dll in the right folder may get things running right, just check the attribute of the wab for Read Only. You may have to do the Rename and delete of the wa~ again to create a new user WAB."

Except for one thing I'm inclined to go with this. I don't have a Windows CD, as my XP was preinstalled.

I have now placed, at your suggestion, the wab32.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System folder.

When you get back please let me know, before I do it, that you do mean for me to "...just check the attribute of the wab for Read Only". I ask because earlier you said "The Read Only attribute should be Unchecked."

And thank you for staying with me on this as long as you have.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 02 September 2008 - 10:52 AM.