Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I've gone back over all the posts. I am blind and senile. :)

The wab32.dll you got from Microsoft is a mismatch. It's version 6.0.2800 and everything else you have is 6.0.2900. Not a huge version difference, but I think enough to possibly cause some havoc.
Take a look in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. You should have that folder if you have the SP2 update installed.
Find and make a copy of the wab32.dll, if it's the version 6.0.2900, and use the copy to replace the wab32.dll from Microsoft that you placed in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System folder.

Advertisements

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Tom,

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". I found that I had failed to uncheck this. OE opens now.

"Did you change anything other than the Folder Options View settings? Delete or move anything"? Nothing else.

"The wab32.dll you got from Microsoft is a mismatch. It's version 6.0.2800 and everything else you have is 6.0.2900". Actually the version I have in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System is 6.0.2900.5512. It's the same in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Now in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express I have a wab Address Book icon plus the wab32.dll, version 6.0.2900.5512. And OE did open before I put the wab32.dll version 6.0.2900.5512 in. Now OE won't open.

I believe, though don't see where to verify it, that Windows did an automatic upgrade to SP3.

By the way, I was away a few hours after your post yesterday of 06:25 PM. When I came back my screen was black and I could not get in. I shut down manually hoping it was not a crash. This morning obviously it's OK. Or is it? If I right click anything I get the hour glass and it won't go away. Have had to shut down manually again this morning. And now OE does open again.

Bob

Edited by Robert Tracy, 03 September 2008 - 07:44 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". I found that I had failed to uncheck this. OE opens now.

I have no idea what that's about. That's just a view setting and has no effect on anything.

"The wab32.dll you got from Microsoft is a mismatch. It's version 6.0.2800 and everything else you have is 6.0.2900". Actually the version I have in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System is 6.0.2900.5512. It's the same in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Now in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express I have a wab Address Book icon plus the wab32.dll, version 6.0.2900.5512. And OE did open before I put the wab32.dll version 6.0.2900.5512 in. Now OE won't open.

I believe, though don't see where to verify it, that Windows did an automatic upgrade to SP3.

Well, something certainly changed it. Weird, but at least everything is now matching versions and shouldn't be a factor. Right click My Computer>Properties and it should say on the General tab if it's now XP SP3.
Did you put the wab32.dll in the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express or did it just appear there? As long as there is a copy in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System, it shouldn't matter if it's also in the OE folder as well. But if OE doesn't open if it's there and does if it's not there, remove it. You need to be able to open OE.
What you've been doing trying to repair the Address book should not be causing OE to fail like it did. The Address book, while being installed with OE and used by OE, is separate from OE.
I'm a little concerned that there's another, separate issue with OE.
Going back over your posts, I noticed that you have a high volume of mail and you also are using the OE Main Identity. It's possible that you are starting to develop corruption in the files and/or reg keys for OE. For that reason, it might not be a bad idea to do a backup of your account and messages when you have OE open, just in case it decides to crash. Here's a site with instructions for a simple backup. http://www.insideoe....ckup/simple.htm

By the way, I was away a few hours after your post yesterday of 06:25 PM. When I came back my screen was black and I could not get in. I shut down manually hoping it was not a crash. This morning obviously it's OK.

It may have went into Stand-by or Hibernation and not wanted to wake up. Unless it happens again and becomes a problem, chalk it up to a temporary glitch and let it go.

So, all the above aside, where do we stand now.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Right click My Computer>Properties and it should say on the General tab if it's now XP SP3. It is SP3.
Did you put the wab32.dll in the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express or did it just appear there? I put the wab32.dll in the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express. As long as there is a copy in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System (there is), it shouldn't matter if it's also in the OE folder as well.

So, all the above aside, where do we stand now.

OE is open now. I click the Address Book and nothing happens.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

OE is open now. I click the Address Book and nothing happens.

OK. If you haven't done it already, go back to post#28 and try again. Skip the part for the Folder Options. Leave them as they are so we know that isn't a factor.
Be sure you only do things in the Application data folder, not the Program files folder.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
This is what I have:

Application Data

My apologies for my ignorance. I'm OK with visual items, e.g., Photoshop etc. It's about all I use my PC for and of course email.

I doubt that what this shows is any different than something I possibly sent yesterday.

Meanwhile everything is getting pretty slow. For example Photoshop took more time than usual to open and for me to get this image to you. And I'm suddendy often getting the error, paraphrasing "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and must shut down. Send error report?"

I have now a copy of DBX Files on my desktop for temporary purposes, along with Original Email.iaf Anything wrong with this? Should I send these to an external hard drive or elsewhere? And since I do have these copied is there something I can do in OE for our purposes now? I don't know: delete entire message folders temporarily until OE is running right again. As I understand it I can import these copied message folders back into OE at will.

And this: Program Files and Desktop Icon I don't dare touch that desktop icon because I know a right click will bring up the "hour glass" and I'll have to shut down manually. I don't remember how I got it there or what it is. Basically I'm grasping at straws, trying to give you anything that seems pertanent.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 03 September 2008 - 10:22 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
That's exactly what that file should have done.
I'm guessing you opened OE after, and a new WAB did not get generated in that folder.
In other words, OE is working, but still no Address book.

Nothing you are doing should be slowing down your computer. At a guess, based on what I've seen on other forums and web sites, SP3 is causing problems. It may straighten itself out. If it gets worse, that's a whole different can of worms. On the bright side, it will make your OE problems seem simple by comparison. :)

Copies of he DBX's and IAF file should be stored on a separate drive or burned to CD in case of drive failure If you have the space, leave a copy on the desktop for easy access if you need them.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
That icon on the desktop is the original user wab from the Application data folder. It can be left alone or deleted.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
"That icon on the desktop is the original user wab from the Application data folder. It can be left alone or deleted". OK, thanks.

"Copies of he DBX's and IAF file should be stored on a separate drive or burned to CD in case of drive failure If you have the space, leave a copy on the desktop for easy access if you need them". I have a ton of space, not a problem.

What's next? Anything? OE is sending, receiving and forwarding. I have no Address Book. I had it previously, but really never used it. But a concern over C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Tracy\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Robert Tracy.wab.old. What to do about that. And C:\Program Files\Outlook Express. The Address Book icon there simply reads wab. No .wab or anything. Plus the wab32.dll in the same place.

Hmm....

Edited by Robert Tracy, 03 September 2008 - 11:01 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

What's next? Anything?

All kinds of things. However, as what should be reasonably simple and working is not, I'm going to do a little research and see if I can figure out a better way to go. I'll post back later.

Tom

The .old can stay where it is in the Applicatrion folder and the WAB in the Program files is what it's supposed to be. Also the dll doesn't matter. Things can be left as they are for now.

Edited by Throoper, 03 September 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thanks much, Tom.

Seems you've spent too much time on my problem. That you're doing research on it is above and beyond. However, I repeat that I hope you're adding to your intelligence over this matter. That would be a payment you give yourself such that I could not offer.

I'm deeply indebted to you for your time, patience and clarity you have already given me.

As long as it takes, I'm looking forward to your next post.

Bob

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I've got 2 things to try. Both are long-shots.

The first is to do a quick look-around in the Registry. If you have ever done anything in the Registry, great. You know this already.
I'll assume you haven't, so please follow the instructions exactly.
As a safety measure, create a System Restore point before proceeding.
Click Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Place a check by "Create a restore point" and click Next.
Follow the prompts to create a new restore point. Once a restore point has been successfully created, open the Registry Editor. See the attached for what you should find.

Click Start>Run>type regedit>OK.
When the Registry Editor opens, you'll see two panes. Stay in the left pane where the folders with the plus signs are. The folders are Registry Keys.
Do not make any changes to anything, this is just a look-see.
Find the folder (key) that says HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
Click the plus sign to expand the key.
Scroll down to Software and expand that by clicking the plus sign next to it.
Scroll down to Microsoft and expand that.
Scroll down to WAB and expand that.
Look for the key WAB4. If it doesn't exist, stop and close Registry Editor. This isn't the problem and doesn't apply. Go to the 2nd thing to try.
If the WAB4 exists, highlight it. The values contained in the key will display in the right hand pane.
In the right hand pane, look for a line that says "Use Outlook?". If it doesn't exist (which in the attached picture, you'll see I don't have it), stop and close Registry Editor. Go to the 2nd thing to try.
If it exists, follow the line all the way to the right and see if it ends in a (1) or a (0). Close Registry Editor.
Let me know what you find. Post a picture if you're not sure.

The second thing to try.
Only do this if the Registry key WAB4 and/or "Use Outlook?" value above does not exist.

Go to the folder C:\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386.
If there is a WAB file, make a copy of it and place it in the folder C:\Program Files\Outlook Express.
You should be asked if you want to replace the existing file with this one. Click YES.
Open OE and see if you have an address book.

This pretty much exhausts my ideas of how to (easily, yeah, believe it or not, easily) get the address book working by using what you have. (No Windows install CD).

Tom
WAB_4_REG.jpg

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Two images should show what I have/don't have:

Service Pack Files

WAB4

Yes, Tom I see that this pretty much exhausts our options. However, I repeat I never have used the address book and never had a problem before. What has happened is that what you have succeeded in doing is that now I can send, receive, reply and forward. How important is the address book anyway?

Bob

P.S. Wait a minute. I've found THIS I'll look again at your ideas and get back to you.

OK, there are 6 wab files there. Which one should I copy to C:\Program Files\Outlook Express ?

Edited by Robert Tracy, 03 September 2008 - 07:01 PM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
The Reg file was a long-shot. Sometimes MS Outlook, not to be confused with OE, will basically Hi-Jack and lock the Address book. Since the Registry value isn't there, that hasn't happened.

The Service Pack\i386 WAB is the one I've marked in the attached. It's the one with the open book icon.
Copy that to the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express folder.
The idea being that if the WAB in the Program Files\OE, which is the main exe for the Address book, is corrupt and unusable, replacing it with the backup copy from the i386 folder will restore the functioning of the address book.
This is similar to what I wanted you to do with the System File Checker, but you don't have an install CD to pull a fresh file from.

THE_Wab.jpg

By the way, do you know you have SeaMonkey. I saw the uninstaller for it so I would think it's installed.
In case you don't know what it is, it's a Mozilla Internet suite with browser, e-mail client and a bunch of other things.You might find it a good alternative to OE.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Post #42. Done the second thing to try.

In the current post

Copy that to the C:\Program Files\Outlook Express folder.

Done.

Is this strange? When I click the Addresses icon in OE nothing happens. But I did a right click on a message, clicked Add Sender to Address Book and got this: "This contact is already in your address book".

Here is how C:\Program Files\Outlook Express looks now. As I see it it's got two wabs. Should that be? They have the same file number: 6.0.2900.5512.

SeaMonkey is installed. I haven't tried it yet. Sounds good. If OE can't be fixed I will see how SeaMonkey works. Thank you. I had forgotten all about it.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 04 September 2008 - 08:17 AM.