Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot start my computer because I get the error message

• Please log in to reply

lgkassy

lgkassy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I cannot start my computer (laptop) because I get the error message - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I do not have a windows xp cd how do I get one? I have asked around and no one so for has one.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

What is the make and model of your computer?

Murray

lgkassy

lgkassy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the welcome! I am ver happy to have found tis forum.

My son has a Compaq Presario V5000.

I thought this all happened after I had let the computer update the serv pkg 3 for windows. It seemed to work find though after it did this. Come to find out the computer had been restarting on my son.
When I went to turn it on Friday morning it kept restarting on me. So I then tried to reformatt the computer while doing so it restarted. Now all I get is the message that this file is missing message. I read on here where I may need to reinstall the windows cd. I did finally get one it is for the windows xp serv pkg 3 I have tried to install but it won't do nothing other than restart with this messag again.

Edited by lgkassy, 23 August 2008 - 08:16 AM.

lgkassy

lgkassy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Update.....

I am going off this thread http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html
I was able to (Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD). because it wouldn't load on it's own.
Now it will load but I get to setup is loading files (Hardware Abstraction Layer) But it just freezes I guess cause I know it shouldn't take this long to load and I am not seeing any activity on my computer lights

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thank you for the welcome! I am ver happy to have found tis forum.

My son has a Compaq Presario V5000.

. I did finally get one it is for the windows xp serv pkg 3

Where did you get this cd from?

Murray