Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98SE won't open

• Please log in to reply

melval

melval

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My desktop with Windows 98SE will not open the windows screen. It makes it thru the BIOS, the windows screen comes up and tries to start, then goes back to the screen with Safe Mode highlighted. It won't start in Safe either. After 2 or 3 attempts, turns computer off.
I have restored the registry and it says it restored OK. I've tried Scanreg/fix and got the following message:
Not enough memory. (Followed by command promp to use which when I do says incorred command prompt.
I believe this problem started after a power outage, but am not certain. I do not have a boot disc for this computer.
Can you give me any ideas?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Good question, how much memory does your machine have? I've seen machines with only 32mb of memory that were expected to run fully updated win98se and that just doesn't cut it. You need more like 128mb and twice that would be better.

melval

melval

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't know how much memory it has since it won't open past the windows screen.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
On most machines if you hit the escape or tab key, or some other that might be mentioned on first boot, you will be able to see the POST screen and it will tell you how much memory it has, plus a lot of other data.