Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN32/Adware.Virtumonde and WIN32/PrivacyRemover.M64

• Please log in to reply

MOPPER

MOPPER

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been asked to clean up a Win XP Pro PC infected with this malware. The PC has AVG 8.0 but that did not catch it coming in nor could it see it after infection. Also, VCLEANER.exe from Grisoft (AVG) did nothing.

I restored to the restore point that was about 4 hours prior to the infection and that cleaned up the desktop fake warning box. My questions are:
1. Is that enough? If not, what else needs to be done to make sure it's safe?
2. The PC was on a company LAN at the time, and it was shut down and rebooted a few times before being removed from the LAN. Does this bug have a payload that could infect other PC's on the LAN? No one else has reported any problems.
3. Does it have the ability to infect flash drives? Software (like VCLEANER.exe) was download to another PC and then moved over on a flash drive.

BTW, this infection occurred when the user received an email announcing an "e-card from a dear friend." The hot link looks like a legitimate web site: (which probably got hacked) followed by /e-card.exe Now how obvious can it be? I'm surprised AVG didn't flag this one.

Thanks.

Advertisements