Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do you get "Address" onto a toolbar option..

• Please log in to reply

CompKid416

CompKid416

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
This is for Windows XP. I recently upgraded and lost the Address "option" I guess.

http://www.vistabase...in-your-taskbar

That says it for Vista, but I remember before upgrading there was an Address bar. But, now, it's gone. How do I get it back?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
* Right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, and then click Address.
* The word Address will appear on your taskbar.
* Double click it to access it.
* If that doesn't work, your taskbar is locked. You can unlock it by right-clicking on the taskbar again and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
* You may also need to grab the vertical dotted lines beside the word Address and drag it to the left to make the Address window appear.

SRX660

CompKid416

CompKid416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

* Right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, and then click Address.
* The word Address will appear on your taskbar.
* Double click it to access it.
* If that doesn't work, your taskbar is locked. You can unlock it by right-clicking on the taskbar again and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
* You may also need to grab the vertical dotted lines beside the word Address and drag it to the left to make the Address window appear.

SRX660

Ahh, I understand that part.

I probably did a garbage job of explaining my issue.. when I go to Toolbars and look for "Address", the option simply isn't there.

I have things like:

Windows Media Player
Links
ITunes
Desktop

But not Address. Is there a way to get Address into the Toolbar choices?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think this must be because you upgraded to SP 3 , Correct? So heres a hack i found that may solve your problem.

It is simply a matter of finding a computer that still has SP2 running and copying the browseui dll(C:\Windows\System32\)from it to your SP3 computer. Put the file in your "C" folder. Okay, here is where its gets a little tricky. The browseui dll file is a system file and is therefore protected whenever Windows is running. That means you cannot just copy the SP2 version over to the SP3 version. You will have to start the SP3 PC in Safe Mode. In fact, I would suggest starting the SP3 PC in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Here is how you do that:

1. Restart the SP3 computer.
2. When it starts the reboot process and before Windows starts to load, press the F8 key, which will load the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
3. Choose to start in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt option.
4. At the Command Prompt, type this copy command:

xcopy C:\browseui.dll C:\Windows\System32\

5. Reboot the SP3 PC normally.

If all went according to plan, you should now have the option to add the Address Bar to your desktop

SRX660

CompKid416

CompKid416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I think this must be because you upgraded to SP 3 , Correct? So heres a hack i found that may solve your problem.

It is simply a matter of finding a computer that still has SP2 running and copying the browseui dll(C:\Windows\System32\)from it to your SP3 computer. Put the file in your "C" folder. Okay, here is where its gets a little tricky. The browseui dll file is a system file and is therefore protected whenever Windows is running. That means you cannot just copy the SP2 version over to the SP3 version. You will have to start the SP3 PC in Safe Mode. In fact, I would suggest starting the SP3 PC in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Here is how you do that:

1. Restart the SP3 computer.
2. When it starts the reboot process and before Windows starts to load, press the F8 key, which will load the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
3. Choose to start in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt option.
4. At the Command Prompt, type this copy command:

xcopy C:\browseui.dll C:\Windows\System32\

5. Reboot the SP3 PC normally.

If all went according to plan, you should now have the option to add the Address Bar to your desktop

SRX660

Correct, I did upgrade to SP3.

OK: here's where I'm running into some trouble.

So, first, I moved the browseui.dll to my C folder. That went perfectly fine.

1-3 goes by easily with no problems. When the Command Prompt comes up, I end up having something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\

Do I just type in the "xcopy C:\browseui.dll C:\Windows\System32\" or no?

And what do I do afterwards? Turn off my computer and then turn it back on?

Edited by CompKid416, 23 August 2008 - 09:45 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As long as your user name is considered a administrator by the system, yes that is exactly what you do. The one problem you may have is Windows will not replace the file. Then you will have to do a file rename of the file in the system 32 folder. How will you know that you are in the system 32 folder? You will see a long list of files in the command window. Most likely if you do the command it will work without renaming the file in the system32 folder, but i am putting instructions here just in case.

When you are in the system 32 folder do this.

rename browseui dll browseui old

Notice the space between dll and the second browseui. That needs to be there. There are also dots between browseui and dll and also browseui and old(I could not put them in here at the forum so i left spaces there).

SRX660

CompKid416

CompKid416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hrrm, I did everything in the first step you told me. However, it didn't work when I was in normal. The Address option isn't there under the Toolbar list.

It did allow me to replace the file under the command prompt, so that wasn't the problem. I changed browseui dll to browseui old in my System32 folder in normal mode. Was that the right thing to do?