Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
my computer DVD drive has been playing up a bit. it's a LiteOn DVDRW drive. for some reason, it's not picking up certain discs i put it. mostly it's fine. but a few discs, such as the Battlefield 1942 CD and Act of War High Treason DVD is not being picked up by it. it simply doesn't show up. on My Computer, it shows up as a blank DVD-RAM drive. if i right click on it, it freezes for a while, then comes up with the error: no CD in drive.

any ideas?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well best guesses would be the laser is dirty or starting to die... or the disk is dirty or has other issues...

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
oh ok, i'm not sure if its the drive. its around 1.5 years old. if it is dirty, is there anythin i can do?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yeah you can get a cd/dvd cleaner disk and run that.... no guarantees here it COULD make it worse though not usually...

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You can also try this:

Follow Method 2 in MSKB 314060 to clear some potentially conflicting entries in the registry that cause a multitude of problems.