Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus?

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Did you check the path to the file on the floppy?
And did you unzip the file first?

The command is:

COPY A:\userinit.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

Where the part in bold has to be the exact path to the file.
It is irrelevant if the command is typed behind an A:\ or C:\ prompt.

Regards,

Advertisements

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
So it is ok if the C or A prompt is in front of the COPY.
It will look like this...

C:\COPY A:\userinit.exe C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

??????????????

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
:tazz:

Yep. That's it.

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
For some reason, I am still not able to put the file on my computer.
I've tried the code and I still get "0 files found, file not copied"

In DOS I was able to look on the A drive but the file userinit.exe does not appear.
When I put the floppy disk into my friends computer and check it, the file is definitly there.

My mind is boggeled.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
So is mine. The file is visible on the floppy on a normal computer, but the infected one can not see it?

The only feasible conclusion is that several drivers have gone AWOL

I am really starting to doubt if we can save this install.

Are there a lot of files on that computer that need to be backed up?

Regards,

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was finally able to copy the file to the system32 directory. I wasn't able to get it to the system32/userinit directory. My computer still does not log on.

I was looking on the internet for similiar problems. I actually found quite a few people who have had the same problem. Some have fixed it and some are still in the process. I searched "userinit" on google. I havn't figured out how to fix mine yet but I think searching through stuff will help. I'd like to figure out every avenue before even thinking of reinstalling windows.

If you think of anything else please let me know.

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm wondering if maybe we're missing something and it doesn't necessarily have to do with the userinit file. Will you look at the posts I first put up and see if you see anything there?

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I found this from onegeek.com, what do you think...

Windows XP Userinit Fix

The problem:
When you log into windows XP, you are immediately logged out. The desktop may show right before logging you out and back to the welcome screen.

The cause:
You are possibly missing a reference to the userinit.exe program in the registry. (I beleive) The userinit program is the first program to start, which calls other startup programs for your windows xp account.

This could have been removed by spyware removal programs (indirectly) or accidently deleting the value in autoruns/startupeditor referencing userinit.exe.

The Fix
I created a program to run a *.reg file. There are a couple of steps to make this fix/hack work.

Disclaimer: You are responsible for your actions.

1. You will need to connect the harddrive of the bad computer to a working xp machine. This can be done as a slave drive or a ide->usb adapter. We now have access to the bad computer's filesystem.

2. We need our program to run when the computer starts. To do this, we will temporarily replace the printer spool service (which most likely is enabled by default) with our program. The printer spool service is called spoolsv.exe and located in the c:\[windowsdir]\system32\spoolsv.exe of the BAD Computer. Find this file and rename it to spoolsv.exe.bak.

3. Download spoolsv.exe (the fix) to c:\[windows dir]\system32\spoolsv.exe. Note: this will not overwrite any file, because in step 2, we made a backup of the original spooler service program.

4. My program has a hardcoded value of "C:\windows\regedit.exe". If your windows directory in the Bad computer is located anywhere else, you must copy the regedit.exe file from c:\[windows dir]\ to "C:\windows\".

5. Download the userinitfix.reg to c:\ in your Bad computer. You NEED to modify this file to reference the correct path of your userinit.exe file.

You're finished. Now, reconnect the bad drive to the original computer. When you log in, you will see a blank window and a prompt confirming the addition of the registry information in userinitfix.reg. Simply answer Yes. Log out and back in, and your desktop should appear.

If your desktop appears, you will need to browse to c:\[windowsdir]\system32\ to restore the original spoolsv.exe file. Delete my program spoolsv.exe. Rename spoolsv.exe.bak to spoolsv.exe. Reboot the computer and you should have a print spooler service.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I was hoping the reference was still there and putting back the file in the System32 would solve it, but obviously it didn't.

That sounds very complicated.

Can you copy System.ini from the drive to floppy and post the content.
I think if we edit it and put it back that should work as well.

COPY C:\WINDOWS\system.ini A:\system.ini

Post the content so we can give directions what to edit.

Regards,

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was not able to copy the file on the A drive.
It gave me the message:
0 files copied - file not found.

How do I get into DOS with Windows xp?

What i've been doing is starting my computer through the CD Rom drive, with my Windows XP recovery disk. Then I cancel the action that started from the disk and it automatically goes to a C:\ prompt.
I don't know of any other way to get into DOS without being in windows.
I'm wondering if i'm having a hard time copying because i'm not completely in DOS mode or something.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
XP does not have any real DOS

The Recovery Console or Reboot to Command Prompt only are the alternatives that both should be able to handle those commands.

I wish I could see from here what is going wrong. Maybe if you give me a detailed description of what exactly you do and what happens, I can put my finger on it.

Regards,

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
XP doesn't have the option to reboot to Command Prompt, except in safe mode. But my computer won't go into Safe Mode.

I'm not sure what details you want to know.

When I try to log in it just logs off.
And when I try to copy a file in the command prompt it says 0 files found.

What do you think of the options I found on the internet?
Do you think I should try something like that.
I've been searching on google and other people have solved their problems.
I'm just not sure if their solutions fit my computer as well.

Thanks

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
If you want me to have a look at solutions you found that might work. I gladly will look if they can be used in your case.

It is the file not found that is baffling me.
I mean how hard can it be to look on a floppy with one file on it, right?

Regards,

cher1234

cher1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I know, I don't understand why i'm having a hard time finding a file on the floopy and on the drive. I was wondering if there was some other command for windows XP. Or if the virus I have is just not letting me see files. I can't get DOS to go to my E:\ drive either. It only recognizes the A or the C - but not all the files?????

I think it's been about 2 months now that my computer hasn't worked. I just want to get it to work as soon as possible without losing info.

I'm at a loss of what to do.

Are they other DOS commands to try?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Well there is

dir a:

which would show you if the file is visible on your floppy.

Regards,