Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Ubuntu on Flashdisk now XP is bust

• Please log in to reply

joey129

joey129

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, I tried installing ubuntu (I have the live CD) on my flash disk from my mom's laptop (XP) but is doest seem to be working. But I don't really care about that... What I'm concerned about is that after installing ubuntu onto the flashdisk, My mom's laptop no longer starts up properly. I get an 'error 15' unless my USB drive is inserted in the laptop (with the usb drive inserted, I have to select an OS [some 3 ubuntu's and a Microsoft XP]).

From what I've been able to research, the linux grub wiped out the windows mbr. I heard that you have to reinstall the mbr from the windows CD... but I no longer have it. And I worry that if I have to do this, the current files on her laptop will get wiped out.
Heeeelp meee before she gets home! Thanks!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

then type fixmbr press enter
no joy ....
type in fixboot press enter

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Edited by happyrck, 23 August 2008 - 06:59 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here is the uninstall page just for your information.

http://www.users.big...manzone/p18.htm

It sure would have been much easier on you if you had burned a bootable Ubuntu CD instead of using a Flash drive, but what's done is done.

SRX660

joey129

joey129

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

then type fixmbr press enter
no joy ....
type in fixboot press enter

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Will the files and stuff on the laptop be safe if I use this method?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep ...it will not hurt your files..
you don't need to quote me in your replies...it just makes it harder to read

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
And if you still want linux on your flash drive, look at the Fedora 9 LiveUSB Creator, which is non-destructive, persistent, and still the GNOME you're used to with Linux. And it doesn't touch your hard drive. :)