Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window Media Player

• Please log in to reply

Maddie

Maddie

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Please will someone explain what this means,

What does "Codec" mean?

Why is the "XP Codec Pack" good to download for your Media player?
I've been reading many question about this player,most questions refered to playing videos,
My trouble is my player won't play my midis, and sometimes won't slap the cover pic of my CD on.

Would "XP Codec Pack" help me?
Please advise.

Sinncerely
Maddie

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A codec is a device or program capable of encoding and/or decoding a digital data stream or signal. The word codec may be a combination of any of the following: 'compressor-decompressor', 'coder-decoder', or 'compression/decompression algorithm.

Without codec's windows media player would not recognize files as video, or audio. As the programming gets better for all types of Digital vedeo and audio, you must download new codec's to take in account that the programming has changed. Most of the codec's are for streaming video like the u-tube videos. It's a much faster method that allows the videos to be played from the internet. All your computer has to do is decode the files. That is the purpose of the codec's.

As for midi files( Musical Instrument Digital Interface) the file might have been encoded by using a codec ( could be older codec's were used)that is not supported by Windows Media Player. If this is the case, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.

Why can't I play MIDI files?

Windows Media Player is only used to show the playback progress of a .mid or .midi (MIDI Sequence) file while it is playing. Playback support for MIDI Sequence in Windows is actually provided by Microsoft DirectX and your soundcard, not the Player.

You should first consult your sound card documentation to see if it offers any troubleshooting techniques. If no documentation is available, try the following steps:
•

Try to play a different MIDI Sequence file, in case there is just a problem with that file.
•

Start playing the file, to see if you can hear any sound. Some files have data at the beginning of the file intended for specific hardware, such as a keyboard; you may have to wait for the Player to get past that data.
•

Double-click the speaker icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar, and in the Master Volume dialog box, make sure that your volume slider control for MIDI (and/or SW Synth) is not muted and is turned up.
•

If you received the message "This page cannot be displayed." when you tried to play the file on a Web site, but you can play the file after you download it to your computer, reset the MIDI file type association in the Player by doing the following:

1. In Windows Media Player, click the Tools menu, and then click Options.

2. On the File Types tab, in the File types area, clear the MIDI file check box.

3. Click the Apply button.

4. Select the MIDI file check box, and then click the Apply button again.

• If all other attempts fail, then try one more thing:

1. In Control Panel, open Sounds and Audio Devices.

2. In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box, click the Audio tab.

3. In the MIDI music playback area, make sure that the default device is not set to MPU-401 or External MIDI, unless you are trying to play an external synthesizer.

The XP codec Pack may help, but i don't see any mention of midi for those codecs.

SRX660

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello,

Thank you so much for answering my post.
I had no idea what the term meant... I'm just learning.

With the new Media player I wondered what had happen to "COPY", finally I tried "RIP"....so now I know about rippig..they won't fool me anymore!

But the pic of the CD is not always covering the album pic on the page...another WHY?
And when ripping a CD I always make certain that I am on the net, but I only have snailpace internet..sigh..

Now back to your post, I've printed all the info down and will try all your good suggestions, and then will return with an answer.
I'm crossing my fingers for great result.

Sincerely, and with a big THANK YOU!

Maddie :)

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) :) :)

Yes I'm all SMILES!

I had printed down your advice, and then I could follow word for word, well tried it all but could not make it work...finally only one thing was left for me to do in "Sounds & Audio Device Properties"
Very bottom I changed what could be read to
"MICROSOFT GS WAVETABLE SW SYNTH"
Tried a midi, and there is was playing away... I nearly cried with sheer joy!

So for anyone else who wants to relive old midis and can't....
do as I was told, and then if you still have problem of not playing tried what I did...GOOD LUCK!

Go in CONTROL PANEL, open "SOUNDS and AUDIO devices.
Click "AUDIO", at the very bottom where you read
"Midi Music Playback", it reads"
Sound MAX Wavetable Synth

Change this to read "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth"

You got it! You will now be able to play old midi music files but some may sound somewhat thinnie! Still!

I want to thank all the "Geeks to Go" those special people who help us.
Many thanks to the gent, I think, am I correct? The gent who got me going in the right path!

Thank you again,
Sincerely
Maddie....back to listening to Zucchero, and did not make any adjustments between the two format of music.
Can anyone live without music?