Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time build

• Please log in to reply

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Howdy.

This is my first time building a computer and am pretty nervous about it. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

I will mostly be using it for gaming.

I'm right at my budget now. Including shipping it's barely under 2 grand.

I know the GPU is a bit over the top, but my hope is with that card I can have a good gaming computer for many years to come.

Here is a link to my tentative build:

http://secure.newegg...tNumber=9238486

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

That's a great looking build to me!

I'm just wondering why you have an 80GB and a 500GB hard drive? There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just an interesting choice...

Also, I suggest you have a look at some different CPU heatsink/fans, as that Zalman is a bit expensive. I personally have this one, and it's excellent. Some others on this forum have this, which is one of the best on the market right now. Both are much cheaper, and will give you excellent cooling performance.

Cheers

Troy

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Wow, $2k on a build? not bad. A lot in there I would change up, but the geenral guts are pretty good. I'd probably opt for a different case and (since you are doing gaming) a gaming keyboard from Saitek. I have an Eclipse keyboard, they are pretty cool. There is also a really nice gaming keyboard that just came out from Saitek, but a bit out of my price range for keyboards. I'd also opt for a wireless mouse. Microsoft, or Logitec.

With that humungo video card, I would probably downsize it a bit and upgrade the processor to a 9000 series.

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm thinking of going with 2 hard drives so I can keep my OS separate in case I need to reinstall it.

Thanks for the cooler advice. Saved me 30 bucks. =)

$2k not bad? As in that's a lot or not a lot? I started off at $1400, but the more I researched the higher the price kept going. =P The other thing I've noticed is a lot of times when people put up builds and prices they don't include stuff like OS, monitor, cooling, keyboard, etc. This one is the whole ball of wax.

I almost got the Eclipse, but someone said the paint on the keys wears off and you have to get a new one in around a year or so. My current keyboard is pretty basic so I figured I'd go with a cheap reliable one.

I like my current mouse that is cordless, but it is pretty laggy. I figured I'd give the cord a shot and not have to worry about it. Maybe my cordless is just junk. Is there not much performance difference between wireless and wired? If not, can you recommend a good wireless?

9000 series are Quads? I had a 2.4 quad to start, but figured they don't do as well as a higher gig duo on current games, and I could always get a quad later when the prices go down and the games utilize it better.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm thinking of going with 2 hard drives so I can keep my OS separate in case I need to reinstall it.

When you install windows, you can make partitions on your HD. With that 500GB, you can make, say a 100GB partition for your user files, and the other 400GB for windows and program files.

Thanks for the cooler advice. Saved me 30 bucks. =)

$2k not bad? As in that's a lot or not a lot? I started off at $1400, but the more I researched the higher the price kept going. =P The other thing I've noticed is a lot of times when people put up builds and prices they don't include stuff like OS, monitor, cooling, keyboard, etc. This one is the whole ball of wax.

$2k is a lot, if you ask me, but it will definitely yield a better system, if thought-out correctly. I spent just over $1k on mine, but I didn't have the monitor, keyboard and mouse to include, so there is about $300, probably. So, you are spending about $700 more on yours than I did, which is neither here nor there, but I'm sure you will have a cool system.

I almost got the Eclipse, but someone said the paint on the keys wears off and you have to get a new one in around a year or so. My current keyboard is pretty basic so I figured I'd go with a cheap reliable one.

I have an Eclipse, and have had it for about 3 years. It is fine. Course, I always wash my hands before getting on my computer, so I don't have the oil & grit from the day on my fingers, but...

I like my current mouse that is cordless, but it is pretty laggy. I figured I'd give the cord a shot and not have to worry about it. Maybe my cordless is just junk. Is there not much performance difference between wireless and wired? If not, can you recommend a good wireless?

I've always had a wireless mouse, and when gaming, the freedom is the purpose. Not that they perform any better or worse than a wired, but you don't get the wire caught on stuff when you flip around to pelt some avatar in the face with your M16...lol. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0. the (2) AA Batteries last about 5 months without needing replaced (everyone always says they are affraid of having to replace batteries all the time, but I never have...) The response is great and I never experience any lag. One thing you might have a problem with now with your wireless mouse is if you have the receiver/transmitter (the part that plugs into your computer) next to an old-style CRT monitor. The static electricity (a.k.a. radiation) can effect reception. Anyhow, this Intellimouse has a 1000dpi (or something around there) resolution. The intellimouse 2.0 is actually the Optical 5000 found here:

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1285

I just prefer microsoft because that's all I have ever had at home. At work, I have a wireless Logitech mouse, and it works great too. Both Logitech and Microsoft sell some awesome mice too that you can adjust the DPI resolution right on the mouse, on demand....really helpfull in games. You might be interested in some of those too. I really like the Saitek Gaming mouse that just came out...it is awesome, but it is wired. As soon as they come out with a wireless version, you can bet I'll buy one of those...hehe.

Saitek Cyborg Mouse:
Posted Image

9000 series are Quads? I had a 2.4 quad to start, but figured they don't do as well as a higher gig duo on current games, and I could always get a quad later when the prices go down and the games utilize it better.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 23 August 2008 - 07:22 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can save a few more dollars by removing the Arctic Silver 5 from the list. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro comes with MX-2 pre-applied (mine did), which I would rate over the Silver 5 anyway.

The 9000 series CrazyIvan is talking about, are the AMD quad core processors. I believe you'll get better performance by sticking with Intel, their processors have superior performance at this time.

And for a mouse, the higher the DPI the better. Your Samsung monitor has a fairly hefty resolution, so you'll be needing something up there for gaming purposes. I've never tried it, but I've heard good reports about this.

Everything else is looking top-notch to me.

Troy

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

The 9000 series CrazyIvan is talking about, are the AMD quad core processors. I believe you'll get better performance by sticking with Intel, their processors have superior performance at this time.

Troy

No, I am talking about Intel's 9000 series processors like the Q9950, and yes they are a quad core, Socket 775:

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2758

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2758

http://www.newegg.co...scription=q9650

http://processorfind...x...&SearchKey=

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 23 August 2008 - 09:31 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I agree that you should just partition your hard drive instead of buying a separate one. I recommend this drive, as it has more hard drive space than both of your others combined, for much less money. It will also outperform both of them handily too.

The other heatsink/fan Troy mentioned (this one) is a better performer than the one you decided on. It is the best air-cooling heatsink/fan you can buy, and being the same price as the other one (after mail-in rebate), there's no reason not to get it.

As for wired or wireless for the keyboard and mouse... If you are serious about gaming, you want them both to be wired. If you brought a wireless keyboard or mouse to a gaming competition, or even a semi-serious LAN party, you'd be laughed out of it. You want your responses to be as fast as possible. This is why high-DPI mouses are used by gamers (you can cover more "dots" (pixels) on screen per each inch you move the mouse). By the way they work, wireless keyboards and mice are not as responsive as their wired counterparts. I second Troy's recommendation for the mouse. I have the same one (but with blue LEDs), and it is great. 4000 DPI is very useful when gaming on high resolutions. Also, the drivers are very neat too, giving you the ability to macro any combination of keyboard and mouse presses to a button. I have one macro for Crysis, where I go into strength mode (more accurate shot and less kickback), shoot, and then go into stealth mode, all almost instantly. It is amazing for sniping as I'm only visible for a fraction of a second each time I shoot.

But I digress...

For a keyboard, I'd stick with Razer and go with the Lycosa. It also has terrific drivers that allow any key to be macroed.

Anyways, the only other thing I can think of is that you say you are spending top dollar on your GPU because you want it to last several years. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), no computer component will ever be able to play the latest game at max settings several years down the road. Look at Crysis. Most cards available NOW can't run it maxed out. There's no way a card 2 or 3 years old would even come close. Anyways, with this in mind, it may be a better idea to settle for a lesser card, then use the money saved to buy a better, cheaper card down the road. Just a thought.

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I switched the cooler again and went with the G5 mouse. I like the gaming keyboards but they are too flashy for me. I need to keep a low profile.

I also switched to a cheaper mobo. This one allows up to 16g RAM. It's not as good for crossfiring, but that wouldn't happen for a couple years, if at all.

Switched webcams, the last one didn't work for Vista. Close call there. =P

My big GPU plan is this: The 4870x2 runs Crysis at max settings, so I figured it will be good for a couple years at least. When the games kick it to the next level a couple years from now I can get another and crossfire. That would buy me a couple more years. Then I can always sit around for a couple years more while my comp goes from good to medium to barely keeping up. That is my plan anyway. I bought my current comp 6 years ago and it has kept up good up until this latest gen of games. And I didn't even plan that one out, just got a decent Dell.

I hear what you're saying though. I could get a single 4870 for $300 cheaper, or a 4850 for $360 less. Then a few years from now get the latest craze. I am going to have to sleep on it.

Thanks again for the advice.

theerobby

theerobby

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I like it but trust me get windows xp plz i have vista and it was one of the worst choices that i have ever made plz consider this.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) ;) :) Vista :) :D :) :D :rockon:

Please everyone dont get mad at me for saying this

Advertisements

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I started out with that, but most advised me against it. Said that vista was better with 64 bit b/c it was designed for it, XP isn't going to get as much support, they've fixed most of the problems with it, etc. It's too late now. It'll be here in 3 boxes on Wednesday and Thursday, according to tracking. Oh, the anticipation! Crazier too b/c I have to leave for the weekend so I can't really start building it til Monday!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Thanks for the input theerobby. You are completely entitled to your opinion and your heavy use of emoticons. :) However, care to explain what exactly you didn't like about Vista? The techs here at G2G strongly recommend Vista, especially for gaming builds (DX10... drool...).

And yes, UncleShags, you understand my point about the video card exactly. Keep in mind that the GTX 280 was released at $600+ and is now down to ~$400 in just a month or two. The same thing might happen for the HD4870X2 if NVIDIA comes back with something.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi theerobby,

You may benefit from reading this.

Cheers

Troy

theerobby

theerobby

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok to replay to tell your why I hate vista I will tell you my life story of vista. Ok as a gamer i have many computers. I have one that has windos xp with 512mb of ram and hecka bad video card mother board and processor. And my next computer I got 2g of ram with hecka good everything with it and you know which one i like better????? the piece of crap because i havent sent it in once yet but my vist comp i have sent in twice and am still haveing trouble with it. Been then i thought about it again and said i am going to buy another comp and get vista because mabye it might be better and wait it was bad. But o well i didnt learn from my former mistake. O well now im stuck with vista. But if you highly recommend vista for gameing then go ahead get it. It probably is but it takes so much more work and it breaks down and has so many problems i dont think it is worth it..

reply if you want but i dont really care about what you guys say it is my personal opinion on vista!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

ok to replay to tell your why I hate vista I will tell you my life story of vista. Ok as a gamer i have many computers. I have one that has windos xp with 512mb of ram and hecka bad video card mother board and processor. And my next computer I got 2g of ram with hecka good everything with it and you know which one i like better????? the piece of crap because i havent sent it in once yet but my vist comp i have sent in twice and am still haveing trouble with it. Been then i thought about it again and said i am going to buy another comp and get vista because mabye it might be better and wait it was bad. But o well i didnt learn from my former mistake. O well now im stuck with vista. But if you highly recommend vista for gameing then go ahead get it. It probably is but it takes so much more work and it breaks down and has so many problems i dont think it is worth it..

reply if you want but i dont really care about what you guys say it is my personal opinion on vista!

Sounds like you're having some problems with your Vista installation. Why not post your own thread in our Vista forum, so one of our experts can help you clean up your system and find/solve any problems you may be having?

Troy