Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First time build

• Please log in to reply

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

ok to replay to tell your why I hate vista I will tell you my life story of vista. Ok as a gamer i have many computers. I have one that has windos xp with 512mb of ram and hecka bad video card mother board and processor. And my next computer I got 2g of ram with hecka good everything with it and you know which one i like better????? the piece of crap because i havent sent it in once yet but my vist comp i have sent in twice and am still haveing trouble with it. Been then i thought about it again and said i am going to buy another comp and get vista because mabye it might be better and wait it was bad. But o well i didnt learn from my former mistake. O well now im stuck with vista. But if you highly recommend vista for gameing then go ahead get it. It probably is but it takes so much more work and it breaks down and has so many problems i dont think it is worth it..

reply if you want but i dont really care about what you guys say it is my personal opinion on vista!

you must have some settings wrong. i have had vista for a 7 months hasn't crashed once. though ii did get a bsod today(it was my fault though,, i plugged the hdd light plugg in the wrong place on my mobo) my comp didnt like it that much.

Advertisements

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well it worked!

I put it all together last night, and turned it on and it worked! I have only encountered a couple problems so far. Here they are:

I've been having issues with my hard drives being recognized. There is a special set of SATA ports on the mother board just for hard drives which are I think RAID connectors and if I plug them in there they aren't recognized. I have to plug them into normal SATA ports for them to come up. Actually, on my first install my 500gb was recognized and not my 80. I didn't want to put Vista on the 500 so I switched cables around and then neither one would be recognized, even in BIOS. So that's when I switched to the normal SATA ports.

MY GPU came with a disc called 3DMark Vantage advanced edition. I did some research which said it is useful to test out your system. I installed it and it is asking for a registration number. There is a long code on the bottom of the paper slip the disc came in, but that code isn't working. I'm not even sure if that is a registration code. It looks like one. It's in 7 sets of five alphanumerals. I'm not sure if the GPU really came with a full on advanced version of 3DMark, or if it is just a trial version.

The mounting brackets on my case had me mount the PSU hanging upside down. I noticed after finishing that I could flip the mounting bracket around and put the PSU right side up. It would be a hassle since I'd have to rewire a lot of things, but I can do it if an upside down PSU is a problem.

That's all I can think of that is an issue right now. Overall I'd say it was a very successful and pretty dang painless first build! If I can get 3DMark running would you say that is a good way to test and make sure everything is running well? Is there any other tests I should run to make sure everything is installed and doing what it should?

Thanks.

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So I figured out my hard drive issues and they are both working great.

3DMark was case sensitive and required I also type in the dashes.

One thing I have noticed while searching around is that in pictures of peoples computer info from CPU-Z with the same CPU as I have (E8600) list SSE4.1 in their instructions. All I have is up to SSSE3. Does anyone know what that's all about?

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Glad to hear your setup went well. It's always a good feeling when you get your computer together and hit that power button and it turns on, with images on the screen...hehe.

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was surprised that the actual building wasn't the hard part. Getting all of it to run right, getting the settings correct, installing all the right drivers, that's what has been the part that has been the most challenging. I guess I just expected it to work out perfectly when all the pieces were together. Nope.

For instance, I had no idea I needed to download the latest chipset driver from intel, or I needed to initialize and format my second hard drive, or that my mobo would put my RAM at half the speed it was supposed to.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
lol that happens... Putting Block "A" into Slot "B" is always the easy part....lol.

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My latest headache has been my GPU driver. It came with a cd with version 5.2.6. I was updating drivers so I figured I'd go to ATI and check on the latest. The one at their site said 8.8. So I figured, sweet! I'll just get that one on there and I'll be doing a lot better. WRONG... 8.8 is actually 5.22, a later version than my original 5.2.6. So now I'm trying to get back to 5.2.6, but it's not working and it's making me go with 5.2, which is super old and buggy.

Nothing is working, uninstalling, reinstalling, I even got a driver sweeper and got rid of it all, now nothings working... I'm going to try some more then post on the ATI forums.

Why can't it just work like it's supposed to?

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Just a bit of FYI...

When you get a new video card, or any hardware which requires a driver...check on the Hardware itself. There should be a manufacturing date. If not on the hardware, on the box somewhere, usually with the serial number, it may also be part of the serial number. Typically they say "January 2008" for example. If it is part of the serial number, you can get the decoding information from the manufacturer's website usually, if not a Google search.

This is roughly when the item shipped, and you can bet that the Driver CD that came with it is as recent as 1 month following the manufacturing date of the hardware or any time before that. If you find a driver online with a date any later than that 1 month after date of the manufactured date, this is the one you want to use. Basically, the one with the most recent date.

You can also run PROPERTIES on the DVD or its contents and see when it was created. This will give you an idea of what driver was used when the DVD/CD was created.

Some other information...
When installing ethernet drivers for the motherboard or if you get a CD with a Router, don't install network management software (unless you have some specific reason to do so), as Windows has network management software built into it, and all it does is complicate things when you have the equivalent of 2 people (multiple management software packages) trying to drive one car (network connections).

Almost every router out there also has network and port management as well. A lot of routers do too.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 04 September 2008 - 01:23 PM.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
P.S. If you continue to have problems with your video, you can try moving the Video Card to a different PCIe slot. Some motherboards will apply drivers to a specific slot. So, if you move it to a different one, it will recognize it as NEW hardware with no drivers installed.

This is similar to when you move a USB device to a different USB port, and it recognizes it as new hardware, and prompts to install the drivers...

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 04 September 2008 - 01:27 PM.

UncleShags

UncleShags

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's the 4870x2, and there's only one spot for it on my mobo. Figured my need to crossfire it was years down the road when I can get a new mobo too.

So far the only response from the AMD forums is to reinstall windows. I sure am learning this stuff the hard way...

Advertisements