Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Having serious install problems

• Please log in to reply

rodneyjm

rodneyjm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok first off I have read everyone replys on here (and have tried) and on many sites, so heres my problem. I cannot install windows of any kind meaning the re-install OEM Windows XP Home or a new Windows Vista or any type of boot disk. When I got the computer it had Linux on it and it would only boot up from a Knoppix v3.9 cd. I used a program called Killdisk to clean the hard drive.

Now I can't do anything I have tried for days to install windows and nothing happens but the following:

1. it says Missing operating system

2. When I do put a burned Windows Boot Cd in the drive it says: Press any key to boot from cd... when I do it goes to the next screen: setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration (black screen) and here it will stay for hours.

If I put the new Windows Vista in the cd drive it will say: Windows is loading files and here it will stay for hours.

So whats can I do?

Thanks a lot

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
whats the make and model of the laptop....
you may not have enough resources to install xp or vista

rodneyjm

rodneyjm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a Dell inspiron 5100 (Model pp07L)

Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz
Level 2 Cache: 512 KB
Saytem Memory: 128 MB
HDD 40GB

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you don't have enough ram...get a 512MB stick...and vista will never go on that system

Edited by happyrck, 25 August 2008 - 06:35 AM.