Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dvd rw

• Please log in to reply

terryco

terryco

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
i have just installed a lg dvd rw and i wonder if anyone can tell me the best software to run to copy any disc. some of my dvds and pc discs are getting old and i would like to make back up copies, but the software that is supplied with the machine will not allow me to make copies of several of my discs. i run windows xp.and also have a dvd rom installed so i can copy from one drive to the other. thanks in advance.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
what software did it come with?

Personally Nero is the best all around burning program for cd and dvd's.

terryco

terryco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
the software is cyberlink ,but most discs i try to copy i get a message that the disc is copywrited and access is not allowed. many thanks

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
cyberlink is best known for PowerDVD, a great dvd player for the pc. And yes if your trying to copy dvd movies you are going to run into issues like copy protection. If its straight data cd's or dvd's and your getting the message, try nero by ahead software. http://nero.com/ Nero is the best authroring software out there IMHO.

Starjax

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
for straight up copies only, check out clonecd or clonedvd. it creates an image of what is on the disc, then copies that to a new disc. it is a legitimate program that can be purchased. they do give warnings about copyrighted material, since the program can bypass some protection schemes.

they can also create virtual drives, which are great for games, etc. where you would normally need the disc in the drive. create an image of the disc, then load that image into the virtual drive. saves on bearing wear on the your disc drive, and gives faster HDD access (as opposed to CD drive access speeds).

NOTE- these programs create copies ONLY. it is not for general burning purposes. it does 1 thing, and it does it really well.

another thing, some newer programs (doom3 for example) will recognize any virtual drives, and not run until virtual drives are removed from the system.

Edited by audioboy, 03 May 2005 - 03:10 AM.