Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a dual monitor video card

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I want to add a video card to my Dell OptiPlex GX270 so I can run 2 monitors. This computer has an AGP slot and 4 PCI slots. I understand that using an AGP video card would be better than a PCI Video card, although either will work.

I found a PNY Verto nVidia GeForce FX5200 256MB AGP card that works in an AGP 2.0 slot. But I don't know if I have a 1.0 or a 2.0 slot and, so far, I haven't been able to find anything conclusive on the net. The closest thing I found that gives me a clue is a picture of a 2.0 slot that can be seen at this web page: http://www.totalsem..../agpimage_1.jpg

Assuming that all motherboards look essentially the same, mine resembles this picture in that the AGP slot, PCI slots, processor and memory slots are in the same location and the orientation tabs for the AGP and PCI slots line up the same way they do in the picture.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me definitively if the Dell OptiPlex GX270 has an AGP 2.0 slot and whether the PNY Verto nVidia GeForce FX5200 256MB AGP card will work in this computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: the OS on this computer is Windows XP Home edition, if that makes any difference.

Edited by highland403, 23 August 2008 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

After some research and consultation with a Dell expert, I've found this information page. Your computer's graphics card slot is AGP 3.0 compliant, which is 8x or 4x modes at 1.5V.

So it should be good to go. :)

Cheers

Troy

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Awesome!

Thanks Troy!

highland403

highland403