Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't use Internet Explorer and other programs

• Please log in to reply

eaglet

eaglet

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
The problem I have is that I am no longer able to access the Internet using Internet Explorer 7. If I click on any of my Favourites I get a 404. If I type a website address into the address bar it redirects to www.magnit-info.ru. This is a blank page but it keeps reloading every couple of seconds. Other programs have also been affected - for instance I cannot access the iTunes store, getting a message saying 'The requested resource was not found'.

I thought this was a virus as my browser seems to have been hijacked and it has affected other programs but, having been to the Malware Removal Forum:

http://www.geekstogo...ru-t208200.html

they have given me a clean bill of health and told me to come here.

Hoping you can help

Regards

eaglet

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do a sfc /scannow...lowdown is here...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using the system file checker..

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi happyrck

I have done the sfc /scannow but get a message (in fact 7 of them) that 'files must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert Windows Professional CD2'

Problem is, when I bought this PC from Dell they didn't provide me with one.

Is there any other way of getting hold of the required files?

Regards

eaglet

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have been able to get Dell to send me CD's after I have purchased machines from them.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are 2 ways..
borrow a xp pro SP2cd from friend or coworker...the easiest way...
order the recovery thru dell or third party...about 30 bucks and will take about a week to get..

write down the missing .dll's and we get them off the net and then you copy them into the system32 folder
a PITA but free

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi happyrck

I now have an operating system CD couriered to me by Dell. It is the Media edition which is apparently what is installed.

I have run sfc /scannow again but still get the same message. I have followed the instructions at updateexp.com and checked the registry entries which are pointing to C:\. The next thing it recommends is to copy the i386 folder from the CDRom to C:\. However there is already an i386 folder there and I will therefore be overwriting. I guess that is what is supposed to happen but I thought I'd check with you first as I don't really know what I'm doing here!

Regards

eaglet

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on the i386 folder thats on your c drive and tell me how big it is (MB's)

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
The Folder on my hard drive says: Size is 1.04GB. Size on Disk: 881MB. Contains 6900 Files 100 Folders

The one on the CDRom: Size 534MB. Size on Disk: 541MB. Contains 6879 files 159 Folders

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try running sfc /scannow since you got the cd....
also look in the device manager for any yellow ! or ?
do you have folderlock or anything like that installed...
check windows updates on the left side of the page for any hardware updates it says you need..

what version of IE do you have installed...if its 7 uninstall it...it will just roll back to 6...
if its 6...update it to 7

did you ever try firefox...

get BHODemon here...it will allow us to see any bho's and also we can disable and keep them from launching when you use IE...
launch it and get a screenshot for me

Edited by happyrck, 28 August 2008 - 09:12 AM.

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Not having much luck with this. I am using Firefox at the moment as I can't use Internet Explorer.

Tried the sfc /scannow again and got the same message about inserting CD even though the CD is in the drive. That's why I was asking about copying the i386 folder as that's what the updateexp.com website says to do.

No warnings in Device Manager

I have Folder Lock installed

Not sure what you mean about Windows updates - where do I find that? I get them automatically for MS apps (security updates etc).

I had IE7 installed and I have uninstalled it and rolled back to IE6.

The problem still exists - the address bar changes on connect to www.magnit-info.ru and keeps reloading every second or so.

Having problems with BHODemon. Tried downloading from the address you gave me but got a message when trying to install saying ' The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program'. Same at both mirror sites.

Tried to download it from another couple of locations including PCWorld. This time it installed but when I run it I get a message saying: 'File C:\ProgramFiles\BHODemon2\bhotb-all.html is not found. You should have gotten it when you installed the program. Failing that you should have been able to download it. Is a puzzlement...'. Uninstalled it and downloaded it from another site, reinstalled, ran it and got the same message.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
WITH Folder Lock installed...you may have malware hidden from the scans you did in the malware forum...
Not only are they undeletable, they are unrenamable, unmovable, hidden, locked and totally inaccessible...you may want to let them know you have it installed...

try my copy of bhodemon...its attached

when you manually connect to windows update select the custom option and on the left side look for any hardware updates

Edited by happyrck, 28 August 2008 - 11:37 AM.

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Your copy doesn't work either. I get a message saying:

BHODemon could not download the 'bhotb-all.html' BHO list. There are many possible cuses for this:
-Maybe you're not connected to the Internet
-Maybe you have a download 'helper' program that is unZIPing the file
-Maybe your firewall is blocking BHODemon from connecting
-Maybe you are on a LAN or behind a proxy server
-Maybe our website is down

When I click OK I then get the message I mentioned in my last post. I've checked that my firewall, Norton 360 is set to Allow this program.

Re Folder Lock. There is nothing in the protected folder at the moment. The malware people knew that it was on the system.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't bother trying to update bhodemon just run it...
I just installed it on a laptop here (same copy I sent you)...no problem installing or running it
still nojoy...
try this..
Manual steps to disable third-party tool bands and Browser Helper Objects
To manually disable the tool bands and Browser Helper Objects:
1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.
5. Restart Internet Explorer.

Edited by happyrck, 28 August 2008 - 12:13 PM.

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
It won't run. This is what happens:

I run it and get the two messages I've already told you about.
I click OK and another box comes up saying' Are you sure you want to exit' OK/Cancel.
I click Cancel and get another dialogue box saying 'The list of BHO's was not completely loaded - please see the logfile for more info.'
I click ok and get a box saying 'Welcome to BHO Demon'
I click OK and get another box saying 'WindowsXP Service Pack 2 Detected'
I click OK and then a Microsoft looking dialogue box comes up saying 'BHODemon - Freeware BHO Detection Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about the problem' and it has the usual Send Error Report/Don't Send buttons that are always on this error box

I don't know if it's relevant but I've just noticed that the browser defaults to www.magnit-info.ru when a websites homepage is in the address bar, but if it is not the homepage it just gets a 404. e.g www.geekstogo.com would get the website but www.geekstogo.com/forum would get the 404. This applies to any site and any domain e.g .com, .co.uk, .net

Edited by eaglet, 28 August 2008 - 12:59 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you do this...
Manual steps to disable third-party tool bands and Browser Helper Objects