Well, that was interesting!!
After the uninstall, I went to the website that gave me the initial problem, in IE, and clicked on the link to install Adobe Flash Player.
The installation went OK - I got the 'Installation' movie, etc.
The website now works OK in IE.
BUT - now I tried Firefox - failed!!
Tried Opera - failed!!
Went back to Firefox, clicked on the 'Install AFP' link - it downloaded, but only to save, not directly 'Run'
So then I went to Opera - clicked on the 'Install AFP' link, got the choice to save or install, so installed.
Now, all 3 browsers will open the offending website!!
Thanks starjax - that seems to be that - I am assuming that it will still hold after a restart - (just me looking for all the possible downsides
) - I hope not to need to trouble you again - thanks once more