Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Flash Player and IE

• Please log in to reply

sweetdave

sweetdave

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am trying to update Adobe Flash Player in IE. The installation process keeps failing, with an Information Bar message from IE saying it has 'blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner......'

I also use Opera and Firefox - both of these happily accept AFP.

I have looked at the Troubleshooting advice in Adobe - I am not going to get into Registry Editing if I can possible help it, never done it, know nothing about it except it can screw my machine right up, if I make a mistake.

So far as I know, the settings in IE Tools for ActiveX Controls are OK - set to 'Prompt'

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
check your security settings in IE. Try adjusting them to medium. If that doesn't work, I have a few more suggestions.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks. I have tried your suggestion, but not got anywhere with it.

On IE (Tools/IE Options) - the 'Internet' zone is selected (the one with the globe symbol).

On Security Levels, in 'Reset Security levels' it gives the current level as 'Medium-high'.
I have reset the slider on the Security tab down to 'Medium' - with no effect - still won't recognise Adobe Flash Player - tells me i need a newer version!

I have gone back to IE - to ensure that the alteration had 'stuck' - and not defaulted back to 'Medium-high'.

:)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
lets try adjusting the security settings manually;

to enable ActiveX for IE 6.x and 7.0 for Windows: you can do the following:

1. Click on "Tools" menu in the browser.
2. Select "Internet Options" from the pull-down menu."
3. Click on the "Security" tab on the top portion.
4. Click on the "Custom Level" button on the 'Internet' zone option.

You will see a scroll-down menu with radio buttons. Select the 'Enable' radio button for the following menu choices:

* Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins
* Script ActiveX Controls Marked Safe for Scripting

1. Click on the "Ok" button to exit and save.
2. Click on the "Ok" button again to exit out of Internet Options menu

If you still have issues after that, then try using the flash uninstall tool

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
The two radio buttons were already selected.

I have downloaded the uninstaller. I will run it in a while - then, presumably, when i go to the websites that need it, (in IE) it will prompt me to Install - and we'll see where we get to then.

I'll let you know either way - success or failure

Thanks again

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
:) Well, that was interesting!!

After the uninstall, I went to the website that gave me the initial problem, in IE, and clicked on the link to install Adobe Flash Player.

The installation went OK - I got the 'Installation' movie, etc.

The website now works OK in IE.

BUT - now I tried Firefox - failed!!
Tried Opera - failed!!

Went back to Firefox, clicked on the 'Install AFP' link - it downloaded, but only to save, not directly 'Run'

So then I went to Opera - clicked on the 'Install AFP' link, got the choice to save or install, so installed.

Now, all 3 browsers will open the offending website!!

Thanks starjax - that seems to be that - I am assuming that it will still hold after a restart - (just me looking for all the possible downsides :) ) - I hope not to need to trouble you again - thanks once more