Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck at the first step [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MAA58

MAA58

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm a little confused about what to do. I originally posted a question in the operating system forum because after an update my desktop files disappeared as well as my custom background. Since it happened twice, they suggested I come to the malware pages, clean up what I could, then post a hijack this log.

I started on the first page trying to download outerinfo uninstaller. Now, I don't see anything related to outerinfo on my computer but I get the impression that I need to follow all of the instructions to clean up anything that I can before posting. Is that correct? If so, I've already had a problem. My computer first had an error trying to run the uninstaller. When I tried again it said it could not find the file at the website. What's going on?

As a last note, I currently have no indication of a type of malware.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets have a look using a different tool

Download OTScanit to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named OTScanIt on your desktop.
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Open the OTScanit folder and double-click on OTScanit.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All User Accounts
  • Check the Radio buttons for Files/Folders Created Within 90 Days and Files/Folders Modified Within 90 Days
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    • Reg - BotCheck
    • Reg - Desktop Components
    • Reg - Disabled MS Config Items
    • File - Additional Folder Scans
    • File - Purity Scan
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Please attach the log in your next post.

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm working on a laptop next to the problem computer. I've downloaded OTscanit to the computer. You said close all programs. how do i know if they are all closed sice I've been told that some run in the background without showing up

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problemI will suss that out when I see the report

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have the settings you requested. just a quick check on default ones:
Processes- non microsoft
service- non microsoft
drivers- none
registry- non microsoft
rootkit search- no

Then at bottom- two boxes checked for non microsoft only and on box checked for - include all unicode names

under additional scoans- non microsoft only

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep leave the default

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Attached File  OTScanIt.Txt   228.79KB   64 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK nothing apparently malicious there. You say this first occured when you received an update.. Can you system restore back to prior to the update?
Do you know which update caused the problem

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Please pardon my multiple posts. Should have understood the dirctions better and will try to fix.

I tried system restore and it couldn't do it.

This happened in June, I think. My father had just passed away and I'm a little fuzzy on dates.

My son #3 sat down to complete a paper that had been on the desktop and was gone. The desktop had changed from a custom background to the standard. All personal file icons were gone. I think the icons to firefox and internet explorer were gone.

Son #2 said the computer had requested a restart the night before to install an update and that he had complied and walked away. After seeing the desktop was almost empty, he sat down and put firefox back on the desktop and after much searching found the missing personal files, mostly photos, video, and word. He dragged and dropped them onto the desktop.

Two days, while I was on the computer, if I remember correctly, partway through my session, it stopped working and insisted on a restart to continue, which it did. When it came back on, the desktop files were gone again and we haven't been able to locate them.

FYI: It didn't occurred to me immediately to try restore and I just figured with a little searching we would find the files. The kids were just finishing up their school year and then getting ready to go on an international campout so I put it all on hold thinking it would be fine.

When I finally sat down seriously to find the files, they were nowhere. On July 12 I contacted Geekstogo and never received a reply. I looked at someone elses post of a missing desktop and tried desktopfix to no avail. I've been gone most of the summer now and thought I would try again. After posting to the operating system forum no reply after three days, they directed me here first.

I just looked at my add/remove window and asked to show updates

potentials are:
Avanquest update 5/30/08
Apple Software update 6/2/08
Windows IE 7 software update 6?11?08
XP update 5/28/08, 4 on 6/11/08, and 1 on 6/20/08 (the 6/20 is unlikely unless that was when I used it)

It does not show the log of updates for firefox or Norton 360 thought I know they occur. My son actually thought it was a Norton update but didn't remember for sure. I find restart are usually more likely with windows and firefox so I'm leaning toward those.

Edited by MAA58, 24 August 2008 - 12:13 PM.

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
trying to delete this and put them together

Edited by MAA58, 24 August 2008 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
trying to delete and put in one

Edited by MAA58, 24 August 2008 - 12:14 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi again Ok it is now a process of elimination time. But first are the files and photos still on your computer?
Before we try anything I would want to make sure they are safe and secure. If you can find them are you able to copy them to a CD for security?

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The files that my son dragged and dropped back on the desktop appear to be gone. I've done different searches but can't find them anywhere. He has since put new files on the desktop and they have remained with no problems. He also has a file on the desktop that was there before the problem but he didn't put it back on until recently and copied and pasted instead of dragged.

I would love to find the files that disappeared but don't know where to look.

I've thought that I need to backup the files that are left on the computer but after this incident, fear of saving a virus has kept me from putting them on my external hard drive.

Just a few quirky things that have happened with the computer that I hadn't solved yet and may or may not have anything to do with the problem.

1. Our computers are on a network and after installing Norton 360, I lost the ability to send a print job from this computer to our network printer. I've looked at every setting an can't figure out what's wrong.
2. Twice something caused the bookmarks from my browsers to disappear. We found them in folders in another location. My son says it was firefox and it happens every once in awhile. I've never had it happen on my computer downstairs.
3. The seach on my start menu doesn't work. A timer comes up for a second then disappears and nothing happens. At the time this started, I didn't realize I could search from My Computer or I might have better information for you. I have searched from My Computer now even looking in hidden files but still can't find the ones that were on the desktop .

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Were the desktop files links or were they the actual photos/files. Are they still located within your documents and settings folder ?

It looks like it may have been a Norton update, however, I will need to do a tad more research on this

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
They were the actual photos/files not links. After the first event, my son found them in one of the user documents and settings but once he dragged and dropped those onto the desktop, they disappeared for good after the second event. They are not anywhere to be found. I have searched everywhere including the recycle bin but that seems to have been emptied also.