Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck at the first step [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK it now seems that the data was deleted. However to see if it is recoverable read this page there is a downloadable programme there but it will only see if the files can be recovered. While you are checking that out I will see if I can find a free data recovery programme

Found a free one here

Advertisements

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
There are many files that came up when I ran the recovery program. Definitely some of my pictures, excel and word files. Some files are "lost" but viewable in a preview and some are corrupt. Quite a few files disappeared on June 2. The files that show a known recovery vary from poor to very good.

Here are the types of files that showed up:

Bitmap 1821
Excel: 6
JPEG: 6435
JPEG Dig Cam: couldn't tell the number but contained most of my pic files
PDF: 14
Word: 93
ZIP: 639
WAV

In total 45,000 files were found. I'm sure I over searched but wasn't always sure what I should be looking for. Many were temp internet files. Others had some strange locations that had to do with firefox and [email protected].

I'm not sure how to look for video files from my digital still camera.

Edited by MAA58, 26 August 2008 - 12:04 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You will be after JPEG, Excel, Word and PDF type files these are your documents and photo's

MAA58

MAA58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Are my mvi files gone then or does this program not recognize them?

Do I try to recover all files of that type whether or not I could get a preview and whether or not I'm sure what they are?

As mentioned, some files say unknown recovery, some say poor, and some say corrupt file. As I reading reading the website, it mentioned repairing files with various programs depending on the type. Do I send the files to the external drive then find programs to repair them or at what point do I try to repair them?

One more thing, most of my files that I'm looking for disappeared on June2 or shows as lost file with no date. Should I try and recover all files lost on that date. Why would there be a huge number of bmp files that disappeared then?

Sorry for all of the questions but I would like to do this right and not lose more in the process because I wasn't clear on something.

Thanks for all of your help.

Another thought, is it possible that one of these files had a virus that caused this in the first place? Is it safe to recover them all and what should I do to make sure they're clean?

Edited by MAA58, 26 August 2008 - 02:14 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The bmp files may be the desktop items. Recover the files to another partition or CD and before you do anything with them scan them with your Anti virus. Also I would concentrate on June 2nd as that is when you lost the bulk of your files. You probably will not be able to recover everything as when windows writes to disc it may overwrite some or all of a deleted file.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.