Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing my Motherboard... new at this...

• Please log in to reply

kinggod

kinggod

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all... i am new here, and am impressed with what i have read!
here's the scoop - i will be replacing my motherboard, as i was told by a tech savvy friend
that it was the thing to do...
a brief history...
Compaq SR2020NX Media Ctr Edition 2005
2 x 1 gig 240 pin RAM (new)
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ processor (new)
ASUS heatsink/fan (new)
all else OEM....
Symptom-
processor fan quit, so i bought new items listed above, installed them...
when trying to start, I get 2 second single beep... every 4 seconds, and no start...
when i WAS able to go into BIOS, showed it was not reading memory in Slot #1, and only reading 960mhz...
so, got new RAM, did not help....
replacing motherboard with exact same - HP/Compaq NAOS-GL6 (aka ASUS A8M2N-LA)...

any advice would be appreciated! thanks
kinggod

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Is the RAM you bought the right kind? I'm guessing the original RAM was PC3200. Typically, an older Motherboard with PC3200 will not read PC6400, PC8000, etc...

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 25 August 2008 - 10:01 AM.

kinggod

kinggod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hello, crazy...
yes, the RAM is matching to the original, just different manufacturer...
2 x 1 gig 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM 533 (PC4200) ...

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Did you plug it into Slot 1 and slot 3? With 2 sticks, you need to plug it into either odd or even lots, but not right next to eachother.

kinggod

kinggod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Crazy, I only have the 2 DIMM slots... my Motherboard supports only 2G of RAM, so I replaced both with same spec. RAM blades...
before my probs started, everything worked fine with the 2gigs... then after my fan quit, it was not
reading DIMM slot 1.... did I overheat/burn out the slot??
i appreciate your help! thanx!!

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Try putting just one stick in slot 2 and see if it powers up. Try it in slot 1 for the kick of it too.

kinggod

kinggod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, i tried that, and no luck...
now I am waiting to get the new motherboard and install it... thought that would be easier
than troubleshooting everything (which I have done for the past 2 weeks!). My biggest fear is
that after I am done, it won't boot up... I believe I have to update the BIOS and CMOS, as well as
contact M'Soft about the updates?
again, I am new to this and figuring it out as I go, with the help of tose such as yourself.
Thanx

kinggod

kinggod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, i tried that, and no luck...
now I am waiting to get the new motherboard and install it... thought that would be easier
than troubleshooting everything (which I have done for the past 2 weeks!). My biggest fear is
that after I am done, it won't boot up... I believe I have to update the BIOS and CMOS, as well as
contact M'Soft about the updates?
again, I am new to this and figuring it out as I go, with the help of tose such as yourself.
Thanx