Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive won't boot, chkdsk fails:"Generic" ICD, HFB, HEZ..

• Please log in to reply

stoppedGeek

stoppedGeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:)

I executed a program I obviously SHOULDN'T HAVE, and popups started right away. I FORCED a shutdown (held power button down) within 25 seconds, application manage having already being disabled. I DID do a reboot, and the environment was obviously messed with, so I quickly shutdown, did some research on my other notebook, and connected my trouble drive as an external for scanning (MalwareBytes and AVG).
I then tried booting with that drive in safe mode, but chkdsk wanted to scan, and it eventually died with an "unspecified error".

I am able to attach it still as an external, and though it sometimes seems to hang, I have been able to back up my data.
Chkdsk has created a couple of "found.xxx" folders, after a couple of subsequent (failing) runs.
But is there a way to restore this drive to its bootable state, short of reinstalling XP, and all the other programs, restoring all my data, etc.?

I guess I'm unsure at this point whether virus programs are called for (it scans now as clean), or some other (than chkdsk) kind of disk utility ("Spinrite", perhaps?).

Note that the abbreviations in my title are as AVG named the viruses, hopefully they're meaningful.
Trojans "Generic" ICD, HFB, HEZ,
AADP, and VCZ, PLUS Nuwar worm

ALSO, oddly, the "Download_Mbam-setup.exe" file itself keeps getting flagged as virusware!

To my knowledge, this is my first encounter with a virus in some 25 years of computing experience, by the way.
(Oh, joy!)

Thanks!

Edited by stoppedGeek, 24 August 2008 - 01:29 PM.

Advertisements