Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router installed now no email

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I installed a Linksys WRT100 router. Everything is working fine except OutLook Express. I get an error 678 saying the
remote computer did not respond. ThunderBird email client works ok but I want Outlook Express back. Any ideas?

I also have a quick question on routers... I boot up the computer and I am connected to the internet. If I try to run
what I usually had to run to connect I get the same error 678 as mentioned. I no longer have the icon in the system tray showing that I am connected. Is this normal?

Advertisements

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Guess no one knows the answer :)

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Are you connecting your computer directly to the router or wireless?

If wired does your network connections show connected by LAN or Broadband connection?

Do you a have DSL or cable provider that requires you to set your router for PPPoE?

Have you had Dial-up recently if so:

Open Outlook Express and check the following setting:

Go to Tools> click Accounts.
Click on the Mail tab, and select the e-mail account you are having problems with, then hit properties.

Click on the tab that says Connection. Here change the option that says "Always connect to this account using a Dial-up" to "Local Area Network".

You could also check this article out see if it helps any:
http://forums.techgu...ng-connect.html

When the router is removed the issue stops right?

Hope this helps.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks for the reply bombasos2 :)
My computer is connected to the router. My modem is connected to the wireless router.

I have nothing that says I am connected to the internet. I use to have the icon in the system tray when I connected. As soon as the computer boots up I am connected, I do not have to do anything to connect.

I have DSL. In the cntrol panel -Network Connections it shows the BroadBand as disconnected and the
"LAN" and "1394 Connection"?? as connected.

I have not had dialup now for 2 years.

If I connect the modem to the computer OutLook Express works.

HOLD ON ----- I just changed "Always connect to this account using a Dial-up" to "Local Area Network".
and it WORKS just fine.... THANKS a million bombasos2. Now if I only understood why

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I don't know why it was changed, but I am glad you were able to resolve your problem. :) You are welcome, I am glad I could help.

In regards to your icon missing, it is not uncommon for it to disappear once you are connected. Some people prefer it that way.

If you would like that icon back:

Go to control panel, network connections, right click Local Area Connection and check the box that says "Show icon in notification area when connected" Now simply click OK, and you should have your icon back.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
[bleep] bombasos2 you have all the solutions....Thanks for all the help. How about a direct link to your inbox LOL.

I don't know why but it's nice to have that icon back - thanks again.