Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did Malewarebytes get it all? Nope [CLOSED] [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Hey duscarter,

Please go to Add or Remove Programs and remove the following (if present):

MySidesearch Search Assistant Bfinding

Reboot your computer.

Please post back to inform me if you have successfully removed the above program from Add or Remove programs.

Advertisements

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
LT,

I went to Add and Remove Programs and did find:

MySidesearch Search Assistant Bfinding

I clicked on it to uninstall, and received an error message. It told me the program may have already been removed, and allowed me to remove it from the list. There was no number where the size of the program is normally listed.

Malewarebytes gives me a clean bill of health.

Kaspesky still finds the OTmoveit file that was moved.

File name Threat name Threats count
C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\09042008_173959\windows\system32\g52.exe Infected: Trojan-Clicker.Win32.Agent.bso 1

Thanks again for your time.

Edited by duscarter, 07 September 2008 - 01:16 PM.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Hey duscarter,

Your logs are clean! :) A few more steps and we're done with the fixing.

1) Update Adobe Reader

Please uninstall the current version of Adobe you have and go here to install the latest version.

2) Clean up with OTMoveIt2

Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")

* Click on the CleanUp! button
* A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
* If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit2 to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
* Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
* You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

3) Reset System Restore

• Right click on "My Computer" and click on "Properties".
  • Go to "System Restore" tab and check "Turn off System Restore on all drives". Click "Yes" at the prompt. (Wait a while for it to finish)
  • Then UNcheck "Turn off System Restore on all drives". Click "Yes" at the prompt. (Wait a while for it to finish)
  • Your System Restore is now turned on.

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

* Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at :
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

* To reduce re-infection for malware in the future, I strongly recommend installing these free programs:

SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX
IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all
Have a look at this tutorial for IE-Spyad here

* SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts. Make sure you are only running one real-time anti-spyware protection program or there will be a conflict.

* You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:

It is critical to have only ONE firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

* MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

* Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more
secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up
blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from
Here

* Take a good look at the following suggestions for malware prevention by reading Tony Klein’s article 'How Did I Get Infected In The First Place'
Here

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please post back telling me if there are any further problems, so I can ask a staff member to close this.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.