Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Messed Up!

• Please log in to reply

CycloneGU

CycloneGU

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Long time no see, I had a malware removal issue about a couple of years ago. Good to be back, might be the wrong specific forum, but now I have another issue.

I've got a laptop. I've got a lot of data on the laptop. Recently, Windows XP damaged a file somewhere and now refuses to boot, shutting off after I try to start up and it fails. So now, in order to save my data, I want to get it on my external hard drive.

My laptop is a Compaq V6000 (which has to have fixes made by Compaq/HP due to a recall, that will follow as well once this is done). I need guidance on how to complete the task of transferring my data. I can use a login on my g/f's computer to help...if I can get the laptop drive temporarily installed as a slave. More ideally, if I can somehow transfer the data without having to take the drive out of the machine (potentially voiding any recalls due to my own messing with it)...or even hook up the laptop and somehow have the PC recognize it...any ideas out there for me?

If nothing would work, they'll do it at a big name store for $80 (using my external HD). I might look for cheaper if I can, too...but want to save what I can. :)

(I wonder if they'll let me borrow a system to do it myself at those stores...nah, doubt it.)

Cyclone

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
About the only thing you could realistically do is get a Linux live CD that has a built in FTP server or client and boot it in your laptop and use either the live CD or the other machine to access the files on the laptop and copy them over. That way you wouldn't have to crack the case on the laptop. You could also install an FTP server on your other machine, the one here is easy to use and configure

http://www.ftpshell.com

then just use whatever client is on the Linux CD.

CycloneGU

CycloneGU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm not familiar with Linux, so I need more info.

Does the laptop boot from the CD? Does it install separately from Windows (presuming it does of course) and not actually erase anything? Will the external HD be recognized from Linux, or are some types not supported?

A side note here is that if I install a client on this computer, I don't think I can access the other drive anyway. I can't keep it booted long enough from a Windows boot.

Also, where can I get this CD? Is it free?

Cyclone

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There is a way to do what you want with puppy linux. I am not very familiar with it. It is explained on this site in a couple forums (sorry). What you do is download, creat a bootable cd (all from another computer). You boot the laptop with the cd and it runs in memory, therefore allowing you to move your data.

I am sure another member will jump in with the specifics.

Here is a link to some instructions. READ HERE

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Another way

USB to IDE/SATA Drives

I use something like this to connect any hard drive to a USB port to retrieve data from a drive
Look around for a good deal

Product Description
The versatile alternative to an external drive housing! This adapter kit allows you to connect almost any internal SATA or IDE/Atapi drive to your computers USB port, without the need to use a dedicated drive housing

http://www.amazon.co...im/B000KG8EGQ/2

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812156102

CycloneGU

CycloneGU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

There is a way to do what you want with puppy linux. I am not very familiar with it. It is explained on this site in a couple forums (sorry). What you do is download, creat a bootable cd (all from another computer). You boot the laptop with the cd and it runs in memory, therefore allowing you to move your data.

I am sure another member will jump in with the specifics.

Here is a link to some instructions. READ HERE

This might be what I need to do...I'll search on the Internet (primarily) and Limewire (if needed) for this. The instructions you linked to seem to be something I should be able to follow. I hope it will pick up the external drive at the same time, but only one way to know that for sure.

Is there anything else I should know before I try running this?

EDIT: 123Runner, sending you a PM.

Cyclone

Edited by CycloneGU, 26 August 2008 - 01:04 PM.