Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Convert a disk FROM read-only to an editable form

• Please log in to reply

uppitycats

uppitycats

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have XP Home Edition, and am using Microsoft Word. I have created a document (890 KB) on my hard drive in Microsoft Word. During the course of this creation, I suffered a power outage and had to "recover' part of the document.

If I work with the document on my hard drive, I am able to edit and save changes. But I also want to be able to share the document with someone else for their edits.

When I copy the document to a CD-RW it converts to "read only". I've right-clicked the document on my hard drive -- the properties box labeled "read only" is NOT checked. But when I open the CD-RW, it IS checked and unchecking it accomplishes nothing.

If I copy the document to a flash drive, will I be able to edit the flash drive document, or will it be "read only" as well? :)

I'm a real computer novice, so please help me in very simple language! Thanks

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

If I copy the document to a flash drive, will I be able to edit the flash drive document? :)

Yes. :) You'll also find that if you copy the document from the CD to your Desktop again, it will be writable again. CDs are writable and rewritable, but the content on them is inherently read-only.

uppitycats

uppitycats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If I copy the document to a flash drive, will I be able to edit the flash drive document? :)

Yes. :) You'll also find that if you copy the document from the CD to your Desktop again, it will be writable again. CDs are writable and rewritable, but the content on them is inherently read-only.

OK -- Let me be sure I understand: so if I give someone the CD with the "read-only" file on it... Are you saying that they will then be able to copy it to their hard drive, and then edit it?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Yes, they just can't edit what is on the CD directly.

uppitycats

uppitycats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you much.....for your very quick...and comforting... reply! :) I've printed this out and will keep it in my "computer fixes" file..which is full of really basic questions like this, and generally supportive and helpful replies...

Thanks again