Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk Encryption

• Please log in to reply

maveee

maveee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello everybody ...

I have a lot of important files on my laptop from my work and my university , and its connected to a lot of networks , so sometimes i need some kind of security to protect my files , and i was told that encryption can do that , but i dont know any encyption tool or program , thats why i wanna ask you about them , maybe you can help me to choose the best one .

thanx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Would it not be better to put the files on a pen drive and keep it with you always?

maveee

maveee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i am sorry but how is that gonna help me, are pen drives protected against network hackings and intrusions !!! and its not practical at all ....

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
This works good for me

http://www.2brightsp...nclick/eoc.html

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not an expert at all in the field of encryption but one thing would certainly worry me: If the disk or the operating system fail and data has to be recovered, It could be much more complicated. Since these are common problems I would think twice before employing encryption.

You can protect your user account and screen saver with complex passwords. You can also protect the Administrator account (seen only in safe mode) by a password. You may also consider a firewall like ZoneAlarm (free) in which security level can be set to keep your computer invisible to other net users.

Edited by The Skeptic, 26 August 2008 - 07:11 AM.