Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Up Trouble

• Please log in to reply

James_MN

James_MN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All and thanks for the Help in Advance!

My computer is having trouble booting up. All of a sudden when I turn it on, it displays my motherboard graphic on the screen and just stalls there. Other times it goes past this screen like a normal boot but then stalls when it says: "Detecting IDE Drives"

I thought my harddrive was bad, so I switched it out with another one. I Installed windows on this new HD and my computer booted up fine. The next day I turn my computer on and it does the same thing again, I fiddle around and change cords around, dust everything off, reset my CMOS, and it does nothing, it still stalls and doesn't go into windows.

What is the most likely source of my problem? Do I need a new MB?

Advertisements

Scott Mead

Scott Mead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
It could be many things, I have seen it be a Ram problem, where all I had to do was pull the ram out and re-seat the ram, keyboard gets unplugged, simple as taking a can of air and blowing it out. a dead CMOS battery, its not giving you any errors? or beeping noises?

Scott