Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash games work on some sites and not others

• Please log in to reply

connfuzzled

connfuzzled

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had a security update for Adobe Flash a while back and afterwards the flash game sites did not recognize I had one installed. After hours of searching the Adobe FAQ I realized I had to download the uninstaller and reinstall the newest version. Everything was fine until about a week ago, again the sites said I didnt have flash installed. ( Not for the security update reasoning this time) So I uninstalled the flash and reinstalled, the problem now is SOME of the flash game sites will work, but others do not, though they are not saying Flash is not installed, which is completely confusing me. I checked and rechecked my security settings, active x enabled, everything Adobe site is saying and nothing is working. Like another poster had said, I really would prefer not to step into the registry area, never done anything like that and it simply frightens me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I use IE 6 and Windows XP.... Thanks

Last night I tried to use mozilla to check if the nonworking sites worked in a different browser and mozilla would give me error messages of unable to find server or server taking too long to repsond and would shut down on me.

Edited by connfuzzled, 28 August 2008 - 12:45 PM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Did you use this uninstaller from Adobe to remove the Flash install?

Can you provide the direct links to those pages that were giving you problems?

connfuzzled

connfuzzled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, that is the uninstaller I used because thats where my searching for answers directed me to when trying to fix the problem. As for the websites, my biggest concern is www.neopets.com all flash games do not work, the screen where the game should load is just gray. Although, at times there will be an advert on the page that is in flash and it plays. One game link is http://www.neopets.c...tml?game_id=412
by replacing the number at the end of link the other games my kids play are 305,381,366,353.

Thanks for your help

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Run the uninstaller again from Adobe. Once that's done, go to the Add/Remove Programs panel and confirm that Adobe Flash Player is removed. Restart the computer and then go to one of those sites to see if it prompts you to download Flash again.

connfuzzled

connfuzzled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran the uninstaller again, checked the details and then checked Add/Remove Programs... it was in fact uninstalled. I rebooted and then went to http://www.neopets.com/games/play.phtml?game_id=412 and the same happened. The screen was gray where the game should load but it never prompted me or said anything about flash needing installed. I then went to www.king.com which is another game site and after logging in it said that flash needed to be installed. (This is the site that worked previously when neopets did not)

I read on Adobe troubleshooting at one point about going into the registry and removing kill sessions? ( which frightens me, never having been that deep into a computer and not really understanding alot about it other than I could really mess up the computer) If I right click on the gray screen ( on neopets)and choose "view source" I will find many "kill session" in the code. That does not come up on king.com Is that possibly the trouble?
I really appreciate all the help youre giving me... Thank you very much.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Same issue with Mozilla Firefox browser?

I'm not sure about those kill sessions. Usually when there are Flash issues, there's a conflict in the install. Be it being corrupted files or just conflicting versions. We can try repairing IE 6 to see if it helps. Go to C:\Windows\ and right click on ie.inf and choose Install. You may be prompted to insert your XP CD. Please do so and let it copy the files over.

connfuzzled

connfuzzled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I tried using mozilla I would get error messages saying... "Could not find server"... "Server taking too long to respond" and then it would shut down on me. I could not even get yahoo to open. As for the XP CD .. We never got one with this computer, it came already installed. So, with that, is IE7 a seperate browser, or is it just an enhanced version of 6... ( if that makes sense) I could try downloading IE7 and see if that works, or would the "possible" troubles with IE6 remain with 7 also?
Thanks

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You can try installing IE7 if you like, but the problem here may not be related to that. Seems like you have other issues as well if Mozilla Firefox can't connect to anything.

You may install IE7 as it is. It's an upgrade to IE6. More features and cleaner interface.

connfuzzled

connfuzzled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was afraid you might say that... Any ideas what those issues may be? Would restoring the system to factory default be of any help?
I want to thank you again for all your help...

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Restoring Windows to factory default or are you referring to Internet Explorer? If Windows, it will restore your computer to a fresh/clean state and should work again. It's a drastic thing to do, so make sure you backup all your important data files including Favorites/Bookmarks, emails, documents, etc.

connfuzzled

connfuzzled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you very much greyknight17 for all your help. I just restored Windows to factory default and although it was a screaming match between me and the computer in replacing everything, the flash player installed the newest version automatically and all the gaming sites work again. I even downloaded Mozilla and tried that route for safety's sake and for whatever reason it also works without any problems. Again, thanks for all your time and help with this.!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem. I'm glad it's resolved now after the restore :)